foiling armatics?

Discussion in 'Pork' started by jond36, May 1, 2014.

1. jond36

jond36 Meat Mopper

I was contemplating adding aromatics and some other veggies to my rib foiling process. The thought came to me when i was about to make some brown sugar and whiskey carrots. Light bulb! Why not just throw the carrots in the syrup goodness under ribs in the foil. A "rib - roast" if you will. :p

I tried to research this, but was unable to locate any threads. Thoughts?

-Jon

2. Try it and let us know. We might all learn something. [​IMG]

3. deansomers

deansomers Smoke Blower

Please post ur results if u try it out

4. jond36

jond36 Meat Mopper

Will do. Trial run through the smoker tomorrow.

5. paulharding

paulharding Fire Starter

I am interested in the outcome of your tests as well. Thank you.

6. yotzee

yotzee Smoking Fanatic

Best part of cooking, there aren't any rules.

7. mdboatbum

mdboatbum Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Sure it'll work. I don't know how much benefit the ribs will get from the carrots, however. They don't really provide a lot of flavor or aroma. Onions, garlic and herbs might bring quite a bit of flavor though. Whenever I oven braise pot roast or brisket, I always add onions and herbs to the braising liquid, as well as potatoes, parsnips and carrots. The latter 3 are just because I want them with the meal, I don't think they do anything for the meat.

8. yotzee

yotzee Smoking Fanatic

Agreed, carrots are usually along for the ride as a side dish

9. Carrots will add some sweetness to the mix.

10. jond36

jond36 Meat Mopper

Done. Ugh... well lets just say i wouldn't do it again. The carrots absorbed tons of alcohol. I mean a ton. It tasted the same as if i was drinking straight whiskey. The foil is probably fairly air tight and I presume it kept all the booze in. The sauce/syrup tasted great but for some reason the carrots tasted so wrong on so many levels.

Oh well. Ribs were great.

Last edited: May 2, 2014