First Tri Tip

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jvanderr

Original poster
Aug 17, 2017
Northeast Indiana
Sunday afternoon I tried my first tri tip and did it on the charcoal grill.  I got a little information and advice from dirtsailor2003 and I think it was a success.  The family wasn't sure what to expect and kept asking what it was, but the results speak for themselves.  They loved it.  

Here's the bare roast and me trying to indicate the grain change in direction.  The KEY to slicing and getting a tender cut.

[if gte vml 1]><v:shapetype id="_x0000_t75" coordsize="21600,21600" o:spt="75" o:preferrelative="t" path="m@4@5l@4@11@9@11@9@5xe" filled="f" stroked="f"> <v:stroke joinstyle="miter"/> <v:formulas> <v:f eqn="if lineDrawn pixelLineWidth 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 1 0"/> <v:f eqn="sum 0 0 @1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @2 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="prod @3 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @0 0 1"/> <v:f eqn="prod @6 1 2"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelWidth"/> <v:f eqn="sum @8 21600 0"/> <v:f eqn="prod @7 21600 pixelHeight"/> <v:f eqn="sum @10 21600 0"/> </v:formulas> <v:path o:extrusionok="f" gradientshapeok="t" o:connecttype="rect"/> <o:lock v:ext="edit" aspectratio="t"/></v:shapetype><v:shape id="_x0000_i1025" type="#_x0000_t75" alt="" style='width:480pt; height:5in'> <v:imagedata src="file:///C:/Users/vandeje1/AppData/Local/Temp/msohtmlclip1/01/clip_image001.jpg" o:href="cid:[email protected]"/></v:shape><![endif][if !vml]

I seasoned with Worcestershire, salt, pepper, onion, and garlic.  KISS

Seared it on both sides over direct heat and then moved it off the coals, shut the lid, and cooled the grill temp a bit.  Using my TP-20 I was aiming for an internal temp of 133 as the trigger to pull it off the grill.

Worked perfectly.  Here's the tri as I pulled it off to cool and collect the juices for 30 minutes.

And the finished product (minus a few pre-meal samples)  Turned out absolutely great.  We will be doing more of these.  This cut is hard to find here in northern Indiana, but my local grocer happened to have them stocked and on sale this week.  I bought 2, cooked this one and froze the other for another time.  Thanks dirtsailor2003 for the advice.

Nice work on your first tip! They get addicting just because they are so easy to do and have just a wonderful beef flavor!

Great looking Tri tip!

They are hard to find down here in Florida too.

Our local grocery store will order them if you ask.

But you never see them on sale.

Al

Their not very common up here either, and if you can find them they're expensive as heck. Great job on your first.

Chris.

why are they so expensive where you live?.....they are part of the top block....it's usually throw away meat for hamburger. Someone is getting ripped off here. If it's nastalga popularity that drives price, call bullshit to your butcher!!!

There just not that common and for some reason when they are available they're expensive. Everything is expensive here in VT. That's why people are moving out. The last one I saw was in a local supermarket and it was close to 20.00 for one a little larger then a porterhouse. The porterhouse was 5.00 cheaper. Can't explain it

Chris

There just not that common and for some reason when they are available they're expensive. Everything is expensive here in VT. That's why people are moving out. The last one I saw was in a local supermarket and it was close to 20.00 for one a little larger then a porterhouse. The porterhouse was 5.00 cheaper. Can't explain it

Chris
If you have Porterhouses going cheaper than Tri-tip, I wanna live there!!!

Great people, beautiful landscapes, low wages and very expensive. For some reason T-bones, rib-eyes and porterhouse are on sale bi-weekly. Ground beef(85-15) is about 14.00 dollars for 3lbs. porterhouse/T-bone about an 1.25 to 1.5 inches thick about 13.00 +/-  per steak. I just bought 3 beef short-ribs for 12.00 because I've seen so many threads on them and they looked good. Just had to try them since I hardly ever see them. I don't know if thats a good price or not. I wanted to try the try-tip, but was unwilling to pay 20.00. 

Chris. 

This one was 5.99 per lb.

That's a decent price for non-bulk.

Here in the grocery stores Tri tionis $7.99-$12.99 per pound. At our restaurant supply buying in bulk (20-30) pounds it's currently $3.79 per pound.

A porterhouse steak in the grocery is $17.99 per pound...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky