First Timer

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx_rio

Original poster
May 13, 2008
Austin
I was given an electric smoker. It has a hot plate at the bottom, 3 wired shelves, a top vent and a pan for wood. I put a thermometer in the door. I've ordered a wireless remote meat thermometer.

I got the instructions here on how to smoke a chicken. I put the chicken in the smoker and then found out I should brine the chicken. Since the chicken hadn't been in but for a couple a minutes I yanked that thing outta there and made a brine as similar to the one given here. It' soaking now. I sure like the idea of not heating up the house cooking, setting smoker and wearing the timer so I can go do other things.

So here I am. I've got a new electric smoker and now I have you guys.
I'll read all the advise I can get....I'll get the 5 day course next.
I like my ribs dry... no sauce... that is. I want that juicy goodness uncorrupted with a wet messy sauce. Just the juicy meat.
I'll try ribs next...again, I'll take all the advice I can get.
The 3 shelves are a concern to me. I'm not so sure where to put the meat. The smoker is only about 3' high so there's not much room in there. There must be some rule about bottom, middle, top shelf cooking. Know anything about that?

That will very from smoker to smoeker. Ultimately, that is going to depend on how hot things get, if you can take the temps at the different levels, let that make the decision for you. Otherwise, for the chicken I would go with the bottom rack since it will most likely be the hottest and the chicken does well with high heat.

Welcome TX. Welcome to the SMF. Many here to help for sure. Glad you are already reading the vast free info already posted. (and 5 day e-course)

For ribs, take a look at the 3-2-1 method. There are lots of threads discussions variations of this for spares, baby backs and preferences.

For the different rack levels, I can offer experience with an Brinkman (ECB) electric. (2 racks) The upper is warmer by +20-30 deg in my experience. Maybe post a pic or two for more detail and the help will come.

For your chicken put that below any other meat if are mixing meat types on a smoker, otherwise put it on top (I assume your top rack would be warmest if like an ECB)

Good luck.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky