First time making chicken Paprikash

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

JC in GB

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Sep 28, 2018
Green Bay, WI
Made chicken paprikash for the first time yesterday. I think it was chef jimmyj chef jimmyj that posted a recipe for it a while back and it looked great so I thought I would give it a try.

I used a hybrid recipe as I didn't have all the ingredients for a traditional version. I cut off the tomato stems and smoked the tomatoes the day before.

The skins slipped right off when it was time to process them. The other deviation from traditional was that I had heavy cream but no sour cream so I used heavy cream in the sauce.

The results were fantastic. The chicken was tender and tasty and the sauce was fantastic. I could have eaten it as soup. :emoji_laughing:

I am going to keep that recipe in my what's for dinner file. Easy and delicious.

JC :emoji_cat:

My Simmered method, below, is simple and delicious. BUT... fivetricks fivetricks Baked Paprikash is Out of this World!...JJ

Reactions: Brokenhandle
Stove Top Chicken Paprikash

2T Bacon Grease (No Substitutes!)
4Lbs Chicken Thighs or Parts
1C Diced Onion
4T Hungarian Paprika, divided
1ea Bayleaf
4C Chicken Broth
1C Sour Cream
1tsp Black Pepper.
Salt to taste at the end.
Roux
8T Flour
8T Bacon/Chicken Pan Fat and Butter as needed.
Combine and cook, over low heat, until a Blonde color, 4-5 minutes.

Brown Chicken in Bacon fat and set aside. Remove all but 2T Grease, and set aside.
Brown Onion in fat.
Add 2T Paprika, Bayleaf and Pepper. Saute until the Paprika is fragrant and darkens a bit.
Add Chicken Broth and simmer until the Chicken is tender, 30 to 60 minutes.
Add, the remaining 2T Paprika and Stir in the Roux.
Bring to a Boil and Simmer, 5-10 minutes to cook out Flour Taste.
Stir in Sour Cream and add Salt & Pepper to taste.
Serve with Noodles or Spaetzle.
Makes 6 to 8 Servings

Reactions: JC in GB
Stove Top Chicken Paprikash

2T Bacon Grease
4Lbs Chicken Thighs or Parts
1C Diced Onion
4T Hungarian Paprika, divided
1ea Bayleaf
4C Chicken Broth
1C Sour Cream
1tsp Black Pepper.
Salt to taste at the end.
Roux
8T Flour
8T Bacon/Chicken Pan Fat and Butter as needed.
Combine and cook, over low heat, until a Blonde color, 4-5 minutes.

Brown Chicken in Bacon fat and set aside. Remove all but 2T Grease, and set aside.
Brown Onion in fat.
Add 2T Paprika, Bayleaf and Pepper. Saute until the Paprika is fragrant and darkens a bit.
Add Chicken Broth and simmer until the Chicken is tender, 30 to 60 minutes.
Add, the remaining 2T Paprika and Stir in the Roux.
Bring to a Boil and Simmer, 5-10 minutes to cook out Flour Taste.
Stir in Sour Cream and add Salt & Pepper to taste.
Serve with Noodles or Spaetzle.
Makes 6 to 8 Servings
Bookmarked for next weekend.

No problem guys! Been making that Paprikash, 30 years now. Easy, fast and tastes good. You may need to thicken more or less, depending on if your Chicken is Enhanced and adds moisture. I keep a canister of WONDRA in the Pantry for just such adjustment...JJ

JC in GB JC in GB Is the recipe you used similar to above? I was kind of vague in my Fivetricks post. JJ

JC in GB JC in GB Is the recipe you used similar to above? I was kind of vague in my Fivetricks post. JJ

Yes. my recipe was nearly identical. The difference was it used water not chicken stock.

It was good but I will use stock next time around.

Also, my recipe had no black pepper called for. I found that uncalled for; so I added black pepper.

Lastly, my recipe had no bay leaf.

Will likely use your recipe next time.....

Your paprikash recipe is now officially in my data base. Congratulations.... :emoji_laughing: :emoji_sunglasses: :emoji_wink:

Last edited:
Reactions: chef jimmyj
I've used Water, but I add Chicken Base. I add Black Pepper to every savory recipe. My taste is sensitive to Bayleaf. I will add it to bold flavored dishes, like this, but not more delicate recipes like Chicken Soup...JJ

I've used Water, but I add Chicken Base. I add Black Pepper to every savory recipe. My taste is sensitive to Bayleaf. I will add it to bold flavored dishes, like this, but not more delicate recipes like Chicken Soup...JJ

I use black pepper in nearly every savory dish as well. Only time I don't is when back pepper specks would make the dish look wonky. Then I use white or red pepper.

I usually use bay leaf in more robustly spiced dishes as well. I think a pot of jambalaya or gumbo is not complete without the bay leaf flavor.

Reactions: chef jimmyj
My Mom used to make that all the time when I was a kid, haven’t had it in 50+ years, but I’m going to make some now. I completely forgot about that dish & how much I liked it! Thanks for bringing back some good memories!!!!
Al

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky