First Time Jerky

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

centex99

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Buda, TX
So I've read a lot of forums and recipes/etc... but am going to make this post to see if I get any extra suggestions.  This will be my first attempt at making jerky... I've made sausage and plenty of q...

I am going to go for a spicy/sweet jerky... maybe with teriyaki flavor as well.

So my first question is to use a hi-country mix from cabellas... or a recipe which I've tried to find good ones with limited success... I've found plenty of recipes, but not many resources on the quality of the recipe.

Second question... I am fairly certain I'm going to use a cure... likely #1, but I also have TQ.  How much do I use if its a liquid marinade?  A tsp per # of meat or a quantity relative to the volume of liquid?  With curing, my jerky shouldn't require refridgeration if vacuum sealed as far as I can tell and I'll be able to smoke at a lower temp for longer.

That leaves my next question of... what temp and for how long?  I prefer a more tender/chewy jerky than something stringier...

I plan to use my new MES40 + AMNPS.

In regards to meat... I was considering flank steak, which is expensive... not quite sure the best way to cut that...

I'll likely end up using top/bottom round and cutting with the grain into chucnky strips, then cutting the strips into 1/4 to 1/8" slices for the jerky using my deli slicer against the grain so when you bite into the jerky its against the grain and easier to pull off.

Plus, any additional things I missed out or comments you'd like to make to help out are appreciated.  I plan to make this batch this weekend and will be sure to post plenty of pics from my process.

Hi MOUNTAIN makes a mandarin teriyaki seasoning blend . A lot of people use the hi mountain products . They are just easy to use and take out all the guesswork . I use to monkey around with my own recipes years ago but once I tried the hi mountain stuff I stuck with it . You just have to pay attention to which is the seasoning packet and which is the cure , because if you get the 2 measurements mixed up your result will be too salty . I did it once and when I hear other people say there's turned out too salty it makes me think they got the cure and seasoning mixed up .

You don't need much smoke , with jerky a tiny bit of smoke goes a looong way . It's pretty easy to over do the smoke and the result is barely edible . I'd go no water in the pan and maybe pull out the loader tube and crack the door . The thing I don't like about making it in my MES 30 is the lack of a good airflow . I usually make it in a tabletop convection toaster oven that I have and the circulation of the air I think makes a big difference . Sometimes I start it in my smoker and don't use any wood chips and the jerky still picks up some smoke flavor just because my MES is pretty well seasoned .

I use top round , i've used bottom round and eye of round before but I like the results using the top round about 3/16 " slices against the grain . When I make mine I just look for a sale on top round and then buy a one pound or pound and a half top round steak and use that . The other meats seem to turn out a little bit too tough for me .

In my tabletop unit I set it at 200 degrees for an hour with the door shut and then lower the temp to about 160 with the door open about an inch for another hour and a half to 2 1/2 hours . When I think it's starting to look done I take a piece out and let it cool off and then eat it and see if it's to my liking and then go from there. and I rotate the racks that the meat is on 2 or 3 times .

Lastly , just so people know that I'm aware of it , when you do it at 200 you are cooking the product and not dehydrating it . This is just the method I use and pretty much anyone that has ever had my jerky from this method says the same thing " how do you make this , you should be selling this stuff " so I just stick with it.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky