First time beef ribs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

617Smoker

Smoke Blower
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Oct 4, 2020
First time posting about a cook here. On Friday night, I decided to cook beef ribs on Sunday (today). I checked around on Saturday at supermarkets, Costco and a few butchers but no one had full size beef ribs. Not surprising. But then I remembered the Lebanese market has a halal butcher, and scored there, sort of. Working through a language barrier, I asked for ribs, and the butcher brought out a very large cut of meat -- probably 4-5 feet long, and proceeded to cut ribs for me off of that. I ended up with 13 pounds -- I'm curious what folks here think of the cut and what exactly I have here, and how long they should stay on at 250-275. I'm thinking 4-5 hours should do it. In hindsight, I would have asked to not separate the ribs, but it happened so fast and i"m not sure I could have communicated what I wanted anyway.
I put dalmation rub on half and on the other half SPOG plus mustard, aleppo pepper and a little sugar.
So now the ribs are in the fridge, and I'll aim to get them on a little before noon. Would love any feedback/advice.
IMG_8824.JPG
IMG_8825.JPG
IMG_8826.JPG
IMG_8827.JPG

look like plate ribs to me just make cook time a little shorter. Yes, ribs can be hard to get in the big 7 lb short rib blocks at times. I would suggest a call to the meat department of bel aire or raley's about 11 am.

Reactions: 617Smoker
look like plate ribs to me just make cook time a little shorter. Yes, ribs can be hard to get in the big 7 lb short rib blocks at times. I would suggest a call to the meat department of bel aire or raley's about 11 am.
Don't have those stores near me (Massachusetts) but a butcher said he could get it for me with a week lead time. Next time...

Reactions: 912smoker
First look two hours in. Gave them a apple juice/apple cider vinegar spritz and switched racks. I'll check IT at next look/spritz in an hour or so.

Attachments

• DA4CD5CE-9C12-4612-A309-EAC5124F49AC.jpeg
    DA4CD5CE-9C12-4612-A309-EAC5124F49AC.jpeg
    274.5 KB · Views: 17
  • B1B307B3-CC09-4F59-8079-6631B396008C.jpeg
    B1B307B3-CC09-4F59-8079-6631B396008C.jpeg
    235.9 KB · Views: 21
First time posting about a cook here. On Friday night, I decided to cook beef ribs on Sunday (today). I checked around on Saturday at supermarkets, Costco and a few butchers but no one had full size beef ribs. Not surprising. But then I remembered the Lebanese market has a halal butcher, and scored there, sort of. Working through a language barrier, I asked for ribs, and the butcher brought out a very large cut of meat -- probably 4-5 feet long, and proceeded to cut ribs for me off of that. I ended up with 13 pounds -- I'm curious what folks here think of the cut and what exactly I have here, and how long they should stay on at 250-275. I'm thinking 4-5 hours should do it. In hindsight, I would have asked to not separate the ribs, but it happened so fast and i"m not sure I could have communicated what I wanted anyway.
I put dalmation rub on half and on the other half SPOG plus mustard, aleppo pepper and a little sugar.
So now the ribs are in the fridge, and I'll aim to get them on a little before noon. Would love any feedback/advice.View attachment 641552View attachment 641553View attachment 641554View attachment 641555
Tough to say in time but being singled steady I’d say you’re in the ballpark. Good luck

I would cook them until a toothpick slides through to the bone like going into room temp butter or with just a bit of a push.

- Jason

I would cook them until a toothpick slides through to the bone like going into room temp butter or with just a bit of a push.

- Jason
Just pulled the smaller ribs that had been cut in half. The difference in texture vs the big ones at this point was obvious. IT was 205-210. Larger ones are at 160. Am going to add fresh coals to try and push past the stall before I decide whether to wrap or not.

Attachments

• CA7163BD-F1C1-43A8-864F-B94AB4C07CD9.jpeg
    CA7163BD-F1C1-43A8-864F-B94AB4C07CD9.jpeg
    239.3 KB · Views: 20
Reactions: millerbuilds
Be sure to post a pic of final product.
So here's what we have. It was an excellent meal, no question. The short ribs came off in like 3 hours as I mentioned. I wound up wrapping the bigger bones and glad I did. I don't understand what happened next. One packet of ribs was done after about 7 hours -- meat had the texture of warm butter, etc. But another packet, similar except one more large rib, just would not get to temp. I put it in the oven at 275 and then 300 -- it cooked for a total of 8-9 hours -- and these are individual ribs -- including at least 4 hours wrapped. There was so much going on in these large ribs -- fat layers, small bones, cartilage.... I think next time I will just make sure I get the plate ribs that are standard.
In the end, it was a challenging cook, but the family loved it and it was a great way to spend a Sunday. If you can see from the pix, the dog was very interested in it too. Corn, garden tomatoes, mashed potatoes from a neighbor's garden -- a great Sunday dinnner. Thanks for watching and the good advice. See you next time!

Attachments

• IMG_8835 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_8835 - Copy.JPG
    166.1 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_8836.JPG
    IMG_8836.JPG
    235.2 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8837 - Copy.JPG
    IMG_8837 - Copy.JPG
    259 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_8838.JPG
    IMG_8838.JPG
    130.4 KB · Views: 16
So here's what we have. It was an excellent meal, no question. The short ribs came off in like 3 hours as I mentioned. I wound up wrapping the bigger bones and glad I did. I don't understand what happened next. One packet of ribs was done after about 7 hours -- meat had the texture of warm butter, etc. But another packet, similar except one more large rib, just would not get to temp. I put it in the oven at 275 and then 300 -- it cooked for a total of 8-9 hours -- and these are individual ribs -- including at least 4 hours wrapped. There was so much going on in these large ribs -- fat layers, small bones, cartilage.... I think next time I will just make sure I get the plate ribs that are standard.
In the end, it was a challenging cook, but the family loved it and it was a great way to spend a Sunday. If you can see from the pix, the dog was very interested in it too. Corn, garden tomatoes, mashed potatoes from a neighbor's garden -- a great Sunday dinnner. Thanks for watching and the good advice. See you next time!
Good cooks like that always come with a challenge or two. We all learn from those and become better cooks.

Looks Great!

- Jason

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky