First smoked ribs, first rub. Any advice?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smoked alaskan

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Hey Ya'll,

Friday I'm lookin' to smoke my first rack of baby backs. Plan to rub 'em and basically follow the 3-2-1 but have never used a rub before. Is overnight in the fridge long enough after rubbing?  I want to fire 'em up around noon  be ready at dinner time.  As always, any help is greatly appreciated.

Hey Dirtsailor - was researching this and saw your octodogs.  Awesome idea 
sausage.gif
, gonna do that for my grand baby.

Overnight works.  I usually rub mine either overnight or right before going on the smoker.

I usally rub before starting the smoker. I put the rub on heavy and have the sauce if any usally on the side. Not sure what wood your planning on using my faves are cherry/pecan or cherry/mesquite. I never foil my ribs either you may try one foiled one not see which you like better. Good luck, I'm sure they will turn out great almost any way you do them:).

Hey Ya'll,
Friday I'm lookin' to smoke my first rack of baby backs. Plan to rub 'em and basically follow the 3-2-1 but have never used a rub before. Is overnight in the fridge long enough after rubbing?  I want to fire 'em up around noon  be ready at dinner time.  As always, any help is greatly appreciated.
Hey Dirtsailor - was researching this and saw your octodogs.  Awesome idea  :sausage: , gonna do that for my grand baby.

I rub my ribs with yellow mustard and cover with Jeff's Rub. I don't foil but that's just my texture preference. No you will not taste the mustard at all. I usually rub shortly before smoking. But you can do overnight and add a little extra rub on right before putting on pit.

I am watching this thread as well

my wife just bought me a electric smoker as a surprise

I must have done something right eh.  Anyways this Saturday we are having company and gonna try some ribs

I found this forum and see there is alot of recipes alot are kinda the same seems like the 3-2-1 is the most popular.

What temp do I keep them at?  DO you guys use a temp probe for the internal temp?  If so whats the temp or how can you tell when they are done?

Thanks alot for the help for use new guys

A lot of people use the bend test. Basically if you pick up the rack halfway up with tongs and they start to split, they're done (OldSchool has some great example pics).Thumbs Up You can use the search bar at top of page to look it up. I go by IT around 190-195. If your smoking around 225, 3-2-1 should be fine. If you're using higher temps you might want to reduce time. Again you can search this info in the search bar and you'll get an overwhelming amount of responses. Good Luck.Thumbs Up

I perfer the tooth pick tender method.

Either one works

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky