First Smoke

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

zakal

Original poster
Mar 28, 2017
So I just got my first smoker delivered on the weekend (a custom 16" Bullockhead Creek Hereford offset built here in Brisbane, Queensland), and thought i'd first try my hand at a mix of wings, pork and beef ribs.

I was really impressed with how well it all turned out.

After a little bit of an embarrassing hiccup getting the fire going (involving a lot of standing around reading instructions on how to use the charcoal chimney...I've only ever used gas BBQs before), the fire management was heaps of fun, and wasn't has difficult as I expected.

Started off with hardwood charcoal, then added Ironbark logs (split) throughout the cook. I think I may have been running it a little bit "cold" for most of the cook as I had my Tappecue probes sitting on the cooking grate, and I think that may have made the temps seem a touch higher than they were, and thus I adjusted to compensate for that where I probably should have.  Also noticed the temps got a lot lower when the charcoal had burned away. 

Anyway, thought I'd share a few pics of the results. Pork ribs failed the bend test, but the Thermopen had them around 87C so probably just a touch early:

Heres everything on the grill. Some Scarbelly Wings with a recipe from here.

Some "Last Meal" St Louis Cut Pork Ribs from AmazingRibs

Some Beef Short Ribs with AmazingRibs "Big Bad Beef Rub"

Finally, a last-minute spur of the moment creation. I decided to make up some more Wings, and injected these ones with butter, garlic, and salt (blended the garlic with a Bamix to make it easier to inject). Been calling them "Kiev Wings" as a result.

Hands down favourite was the Pork Ribs, followed by a tie between the Scarbelly Wings and the Kiev Wings. Beef ribs, whilst tasty, could have done with a little longer in the smoker, but I let the fire go too low at the end and it couldnt be salvaged. Plus, was just too damn full from all the rest to really be able to turn proper attention to the massive hunks of meat that those beef ribs are sporting.

Will be definitely firing it up again this weekend.

Reactions: crankybuzzard

Great looking first smoke, and bot did you go all out for it!

Points for your first!!!
Haha well after all the reading up on it I'd done, there was a bunch of things I wanted to try, and I figured if I was going to spend the day doing it, I may as well make enough for lunch and dinner.

As it turned out, the delivery didn't arrive until late afternoon, then had to spend about 2 hrs getting getting it seasoned etc. I decided to basically season every internal surface, including the fire grates in both the fire box and the one for the main cooking chamber for use when converting to rotisserie. I know its probably pointless for the firebox, but I figured it couldn't hurt.

I actually tried to get the charcoal lit originally with just a blowtorch, but it didn't seem to take, and the chimney with just paper underneath wasn't enough either. Had to use paper and some kindling.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky