First Smoke Today!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

SunnyDC

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jan 15, 2019
Washington, DC
meat-02.jpg

Today's the day! Last night we got a big, hot fire going and seasoned the new offset. Really understand why you need to do that, now, for sure... it smelled **awful** at first! But got much better after a couple of hours. Also, it was a good way to see where the flaws are in this inexpensive unit... there are definitely some leaky spots, but honestly, it was quite cold yet the temperature didn't fluctuate much. Played with taking it up and down with the intake, so I feel at least moderately competent to try this thing out today!

Just a couple of racks of baby backs and a pork butt to start... will keep you posted!

EDIT 1:44pm EST

meat-03.jpg

I needed to add some wood, and the smoke went all billowy on me, so I opened it a minute to spare the goodies from any nastiness, which allowed me to snap a picture of everything on the grill. Tasso up top, the butt & baby back ribs. It's raining more than I expected now, so I'm gonna have to babysit a bit, I think!

EDIT 3:22pm EST

ribs-04.jpg

Getting there! Just over 3 hours (these were extremely meaty racks) and I pulled them to wrap. I've never done these before, so I unabashedly stole the idea of butter + honey + apple cider drizzle. They look pretty good! Had to shoo the grandboys away. Put them back on the grill for another bit. Spritzed the butt a little more and left stepped away.

Speaking of the grandboys, I also pulled the tasso, and cut up a couple of pieces to take pictures to show the texture before wrapping up the rest of them for family & friends I'd promised them to. Turned back around and the "show" tasso had been scarfed up. I did manage to have a couple of bites beforehand, though, and it turned out pretty much exactly like the first batch did, only I made this one a LOT spicier.

Onward!

EDIT 10:10pm EST

meat-05.jpg

Arrrrrrrrrgh. 10 hour ribs, anyone? Ugh. They were great.... but we were totally thwarted by rain and temperatures in the 30°s that kept our grate temps bottoming out no matter what we did. I'm exhausted; will post more about it tomorrow. Much, much, much to learn... probably starting with, "Maybe don't try to do 16 lbs. of meat on a rainy, windy, frigid day..."

EDIT: Next day, 3:00 pm EST

pulled-pork-08.jpg

Unarguably the biggest success of the first smoke. Though this wasn't too much of a stretch since I've been making these in a grill since I was a teenager, I'll still take it. I think what you see right here is my very favorite food in the whole, wide world!

Last edited:
Have fun. It’s easier to control the heat with smaller splits btw. I cut a 16” long split in half on the wood chopsaw. What kinda wood are you using?

Have fun. It’s easier to control the heat with smaller splits btw. I cut a 16” long split in half on the wood chopsaw. What kinda wood are you using?

Big chunks of apple wood. I don't think splits would fit in my firebox unless I chopped them up. Wish they would, though! This is a bit more labor intensive.

Char Griller Smokin' Champ. And thanks... I sure hope so! I've definitely had plenty of good advice here, so if not, it's all on me!

I've got a Chargriller also. Once you learn its idiosyncrasies they're not bad units. Definitely could use sealing of doors like you mentioned above but that's the only modification I've seen a need to do right now.

Reactions: SunnyDC
I've got a Chargriller also. Once you learn its idiosyncrasies they're not bad units. Definitely could use sealing of doors like you mentioned above but that's the only modification I've seen a need to do right now.

Good to hear... that's about the advice I'm getting all around, too. I was all set to mod it up before starting, but was advised to give it a whirl first. It's pretty much leaking in a couple of very specific spots. The only other surprising thing is that the paint is already peeling over the firebox... but that is easily enough remedied. Thanks!

nice, where did you source the wood? Temps style consistent for you?

We braved the outback of the grilling aisle at Home Depot for these. ;) Not much in the way of wood to be had around these parts... though I'm going to have to go in search of some, I think, because I'm sure burning through this stuff!

My temperature's doing pretty well... it's dropped a couple of times, but I just added some more wood and it popped right back up.

Ya it’s a fun a pretty easy learning curve as long as your gauges are correct. I’ve heard from one of my wood buying customers the stuff at Home Depot burns up very fast. I though they were smaller chunks when I’ve seen them. Here the size I run and the best thing for you to do for now is cut the wood about 1.5-2” thick or so and let them dry in the sun and they will be seasoned for you in couple months if it’s some what straight grain. Or buy wood from a guy like me and get a lot better deal on the wood. I sell it for 25$ full wheel barrow full
D60BC654-6E03-4C9B-A963-42BBB61AA684.jpeg
E83D1B6C-2FFA-4D0B-8EBF-FA3E9E3E676B.jpeg
it splits real easy with a axe when it’s this thin and drys very fast since wood drys mostly out the ends. This is plum wood

Great start Sunny, lookin like some good eatin in your near future. Be lookin for your updates on the smoke. Enjoy the process.

Looking good SunnyDC. If you haven’t invested yet in a remote thermometer, I would suggest that move to the top of your wish list. Accurate temp at grate level is a must and unit therms are usually junk and measuring at the wrong place. Good luck and we will be watching for the money shots!

Weedeater

Ya it’s a fun a pretty easy learning curve as long as your gauges are correct. I’ve heard from one of my wood buying customers the stuff at Home Depot burns up very fast. I though they were smaller chunks when I’ve seen them. Here the size I run and the best thing for you to do for now is cut the wood about 1.5-2” thick or so and let them dry in the sun and they will be seasoned for you in couple months if it’s some what straight grain. Or buy wood from a guy like me and get a lot better deal on the wood. I sell it for 25$ full wheel barrow full it splits real easy with a axe when it’s this thin and drys very fast since wood drys mostly out the ends. This is plum wood

That would be great... I will have to look out for someone who does this, too! That plum wood is gorgeous, besides. Thanks!

Looking good SunnyDC. If you haven’t invested yet in a remote thermometer, I would suggest that move to the top of your wish list. Accurate temp at grate level is a must and unit therms are usually junk and measuring at the wrong place. Good luck and we will be watching for the money shots!

Weedeater

We actually did already have thermometers before I got the smoker, because I've always done butts for pulled pork in my grill. I didn't know I was actually smoking them, though!

Looking good. I started out with a cheap offset smoker (COS) similar to the chargriller. They are a great way to get into smoking without spending and arm and leg, and can turn out some top notch Q. Air and heat management are important. Mine was tough to smoke with during the winter, and always went through a lot of fuel but was well worth it. My main recommendations for these units is to add some decent quality thermometers to each end of the cook chamber at grate lever so you can see your hotter areas, as well as making a charcoal basket out of expanded metal. You can get a good bed of coals going with charcoal and keep feeding it wood or more charcoal after that. Good luck with the cook. Looking forward to seeing how everything turns out!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky