First smoke & starting with Whole chicken w/pics

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

altramagnus

Fire Starter
Original poster
Nov 17, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Ok so black Fri I am smoking a turkey but before this I want to do some chickens just to see how I do. So tomorrow I plan on doing 2 whole chickens with apple wood.

I have a rub I already use on chicken so i'm using that. I will rub under skin, coating outside with blood orange olive oil then rub. Stuffing the birds with cut up apples and planned on apple juice in the water pan. Spraying with apple juice also.

Anyone have any issues with what i'm planning? Any tips?

I will of course post up here as i'm smoking and the final product for all to critique.

Thanks,

Shawn

Last edited:
AltraMagnus,  WELCOME ABOARD! Sounds like good advice from Mr. Roller. 

You sound good so far! Looking forward to the Q-view on the process and results.  Good luck!

popcorn.gif

Looks like the smallest birds we could find are 7lbs. I think i'm' going to have to Spatchcock them to get them both to fit.

Less cooking time I guess.

Shawn

What is the description on the packages for what kind of bird they are?  Roasters?  or Stewers?  A roaster is a young cock, a stewer is an old hen.

Oh yes, much difference.  The old hen is best boiled for chicken and biscuits to tenderize it, otherwise it could be tough.  If smoking it, you would want to roast it low and slow (200° - 220°) to 180° minimum.   On the other hand, the young cock is more tender and can be roasted with no problem, to 160°.  

Just like turkeys.  A 16+lb. hen will be tougher than a 17lb. tom.   Hens run 8 - 16 lbs.  Toms usually 18 - 25 lbs.

Oh yes, much difference.  The old hen is best boiled for chicken and biscuits to tenderize it, otherwise it could be tough.  If smoking it, you would want to roast it low and slow (200° - 220°) to 180° minimum.   On the other hand, the young cock is more tender and can be roasted with no problem, to 160°.  
Just like turkeys.  A 16+lb. hen will be tougher than a 17lb. tom.   Hens run 8 - 16 lbs.  Toms usually 18 - 25 lbs.

HHMMMM.. so then on all whole chickens it will say on the package if they are "Roasters" or "Stewers" ? and Roasters are the way to go ?

A chicken of that size, 7 lbs., should be labeled as either a roaster or stewer or something to that effect; "Whole Roasting Chicken" or "Stewing Chicken", vs a smaller bird which should be "Whole Fryer" (3-5 lbs) or "Whole Broiler" (2.5 lbs. to 3.5 lbs).   For smoking, you definitely want a Roaster in that size, a young cock rooster.
HHMMMM.. so then on all whole chickens it will say on the package if they are "Roasters" or "Stewers" ? and Roasters are the way to go ?

Sorry wasn't on last night so I checked the birds this morning and they are Whole Roasters.

I have been looking at my space in the smoker and I think they may fit whole without Spatchcocking them.

Any ideas how long 2 will take at say 250-270f? My first time and don't want them finished to late HAHA

Shawn

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky