first smoke need help!!

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dk2851

Original poster
Dec 10, 2007
Just south of Chicago
Not only is this my first smoke but also my first post outside of roll call. If I'm not posting properly please let me know. I've been doing a lot of reading on the site but still have questions. I am going to try a pork butt on sat, should I smoke it right on the rack or in a foil pan, should I wrap it in foil at any point in the process, what internal temp should I remove it. I also don't understand resting the meat in a cooler. Could someone please help explain it. I will be using a Cabelas 48" vertical propane, which I have seasoned with help this site. I would be happy making my first smoke edible. Thanks to all who have helped already. If I'm doing this right you'll be hearing a lot of questions from me in the future.

Go here... this will answer all your questions:

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/for...ead.php?t=8111

Hope this helps and good luck!
PDT_Armataz_01_34.gif

I'm new to this too,but you didn't say whether you wanted to pull the meat or slice it, and cooking times and temps. are different. I think there is a temp chart on the home page that shows the temps and estimated times. Read back through some of the past posts in the pork section and you will get lots of ideas. Good luck.

Makes a difference if you are pulling or slicing???? Don't cok by time cook by temperature.
I always cook mine directly on the rack but, everyone has a preference. Foil when the internal temp. wanted is acheived and let rest in a cooler wrapped in towels. This helps the internal juices of the meat re-distribute.
The cooler, foil, and towels help the meat continue to raise in temps as well as allow the jiuces to flow back.
Temperature wise if slicing foil at arounds 170*. If pulling foil it at around 195*.
Either way allow it to rest about an hour.

You've already got some good advice. As far as the foil pan goes, you can put them in foil pans. It will save you some clean up in your smoker but it could interfere with smoke getting to some parts of the meat. If you DO use a foil pan, I would draw off the juices on a fairly regular basis so the meat doesn't set in them and braise.

Another option is to put the pan below the meat to catch the juices.

I would definitely recommend that you collect the juices and use them when you serve the meat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky