First smoke ever. Maple BBQ Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Puggin4Life

Original poster
Nov 16, 2018
Well, as the title says this is my first smoke ever. Made two chickens, baked beans and potatoes. Used Jeff's original rub on the chickens. Should be done soon!

My only issue I had was the pellets in the A-mazin tray didn't stay lit tonight. Last night they stayed lit for several hours with no issue but as soon as I added food it didn't stay lit. Any suggestions?

Pics of progress so far.

Ribs will he going in tomorrow!

Attachments

• MVIMG_20181129_111040.jpg
    MVIMG_20181129_111040.jpg
    230.8 KB · Views: 59
  • MVIMG_20181129_140910.jpg
    MVIMG_20181129_140910.jpg
    227.7 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20181129_142817_01.jpg
    IMG_20181129_142817_01.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_20181129_163431.jpg
    IMG_20181129_163431.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 58
  • MVIMG_20181129_172247.jpg
    MVIMG_20181129_172247.jpg
    200.6 KB · Views: 57
At my house it's rainin.
So if it's rainin at your house, that might be a reason. :emoji_thinking:

I usually will run a pre-smoking sterilizing run. At that time, I put a tray of Un-lit pellets in my smoker to dry them out.
Might wanna try that. :emoji_wink:

Looks good. I'll be right over. :rolleyes:

Addendum, I run the A-AZN-Tube (pellets) occasionally, takes some time to light but has never gone out after.

Put the pellet tray under the water pan so no juices drip into it and pull out the pellet tray so it can get some more fresh air into it

Reactions: PAS and Puggin4Life
If you can't microwave them in the house chuck them into your cleaned out and dried waterpan and run a torch back and forth over them long enough to dry them a bit, but not enough to ignite them.

Also, others who use the amps directly in their smoker put it in a different spot. More towards the lower left corner to promote airflow from the chip tray opening.

Give it a shot. If that doesn't work, there's always the mailbox mod. I use it and it eliminates most drafting/airflow concerns re: the pellets.

Reactions: Puggin4Life
Welcome to the hobby!

My first smoke was chicken/maple, too, but that was in a Weber with a fire of maple. I could use the top vent to choke it.

Yes, I choked my chicken, and it turned out great.

Reactions: Puggin4Life
Looks to me like the juices from the meat are dripping on the pellets.
I can't tell where the heating element is in your smoker, but I would try to put the tray under the water pan. And away from the heating element. If you need to, make a foil tent to go over the pellets.
Al

Slightly off topic but I would not want the chicken dripping into the beans. Depending on timing, temperature, etc. you could be running the risk of illness. If the chicken is cooked or the beans or boiling that would be less of a concern.

Slightly off topic but I would not want the chicken dripping into the beans. Depending on timing, temperature, etc. you could be running the risk of illness. If the chicken is cooked or the beans or boiling that would be less of a concern.

You know, I never thought of that. Probably a valid concern. Thanks for the tip!

Looks to me like the juices from the meat are dripping on the pellets.
I can't tell where the heating element is in your smoker, but I would try to put the tray under the water pan. And away from the heating element. If you need to, make a foil tent to go over the pellets.
Al

That's what I think is happening as well. I will try that today and see how it works! Thanks.

I put my AMNPS in the lower corner. Has never gone out and I have not needed to open the chip loader on my new model.
Clean up 1.jpg

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky