First run at smoking meat

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jimmi_jones

Original poster
Jul 4, 2008
Yakivegas, Washington
Two six pound Boston Butts

Rubbed last night with garlic powder/onion powder/salt/black pepper/cayenne pepper/chili powder/brown sugar mix and wrapped tight in plastic wrap left in fridge about eighteen hours.

Started this morning in brand spanking new charcoal smoker. Using water soaked hickory on top of lump. Half gallon of water and one quart of homemade Foreign Extra Stout in drip pan. Four and a half hours in and internal temp is about 160F.

Looks and smells very good.

Jjones

Texas-Hunter;220181 said:
Wow... only 4 1/2 in and at 160... Your kickin that pig eh?

Yeah, but she stalled at about 160. Been right around there (158-162) for about an hour and a half. That's o.k. though. My reading made me expect it, just somewhere closer to 170.

I have to admit that I had one chunk of hickory that was DE-TER-MINED to burn with a flame rather then just smolder and smoke for me, so I kept having to take the rig apart and pour a little water on my wood to keep that guy in his place. My temps at the start while he was fussing me were probably a bit high at times.

It ain't supposed to be on the bun for another four hours or so. So I am thinking I will be alright.

Last time I took its temp the cap was starting to crack and there was a nice bark forming.

Jjones (happy to be here)

Save the homebrew! Water works just as well in the pan, reading up on here will tell ya most people think the same...

Guess a stout would smell good after simmering for a while... but think you'll enjoy it more in a pint glass or in a mop for meats.
wink.gif

Isn't the 'first bark' experience grand? I always enjoy seeing what will develop...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky