First Low-n-Slow with a Kamado style cooker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

jds22

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 18, 2012
Central IL
This is my first low-n-slow attempt with my Chargriller Akorn kamado cooker.

I bought 2 racks of spares trimmed St. Louis style.  I rubbed them down with a mix of turbinado sugar, paprika, kosher salt, and black pepper. I don't measure these out, I just mix them up until I like the flavor.

I used Royal Oak lump with a few pieces of cherry thrown in.

Here are the rubbed racks. I also used a pizza stone wrapped in foil for my diffuser.

Thin blue line of cherry smoke. It smelled incredible.

2.5 hrs into the cook and ready for foiling.

I used Chef JimmyJ's foiling sauce recipe, delicious btw.
1/2 stick butter
4oz apple juice
4oz honey
rub mixture.
Put this on a simmer for 10-15 mins until it thickens up a bit.

Here they are after foiling and placed back on the grill for about 40 mins. One painted with Sweet Baby Rays, the other with Stubb's original.

Final results

Verdict, my entire family liked the flavor profile. They were not overly smoky and very tasty. The only problem is that they were a bit overdone resulting in dryness. I was shooting for a cook temp of 275. For the first part of the cook the temp stayed around 265-280 with the lower vent closed and the top open to around .75 to 1. However after opening up the cooker to foil the ribs the temp shot to around 315. I was not able to get it back under 300 for the rest of the cook. BTW my cook times were probably 2.5/1/.5 using the foiling method.  I guess I could have closed off the top vent but I was worried about the fire going out so I left it around .5, maybe even a bit lower.

Overall a good cook but not perfect. Considering I'm new to cooking ribs and using a kamado I have no complaints, I just need to keep practicing.

They look really good to me!!!

Try leaving in the foil longer, that should help with the dryness.

The ribs look great 

Most of the folks here do ribs at 225-250 and that might be part of the problem with being overdone. At the higher temps you would need to adjust your times 

The ribs look great 

Most of the folks here do ribs at 225-250 and that might be part of the problem with being overdone. At the higher temps you would need to adjust your times 
Right. I've only been smoking since June. I bought an electric smoker which I had to return but during that time I had it I did ribs at 225 and 275, preferring them at 275. Thjs shot a bit above 275.
biggrin.gif

Live and learn right.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky