First Butt on My New WSM

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wyojay

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 10, 2017
Thermopolis Wyoming
My WSM is a week old now, and after seasoning and breaking it in with 3 racks of St Louis style ribs last weekend (which turned out AMAZING), I'm going to smoke an 8 lb pork butt for my B-Day tomorrow. I have smoked many pork butts over the years in my old Brinkmann Smoke N Grill, which meant virtually no temp control and constant babysitting. I'm going to fire up the WSM at midnight for what I anticipate will be a 12 hour smoke, and then go to bed. I'm an early riser, so I'll probably be out to check it around 5am. I usually wrap my pork butts in foil once the IT hits 165F, and pull them out of the smoker to rest when they hit 200F. I always used to fill the water pan in my old Brinkmann, but I've read that a lot of WSM users prefer not too. If anyone has any tips for a WSM newbie, I'm all ears!

Jason

Hi Jason!  I load up my WSM with KBB and 5 chunks of wood, and throw on about 25 lit briquettes, foil the water pan, no water.  I have the top vent wide open and bottom vents wide open until the smoker reaches 225.  Then I close two bottom vents completely, and leave the third bottom vent 1/4 open.  My WSM will stay at 225-250 for at least 8 hrs without touching a thing at this point.  I will add that this is with mild wind conditions, gusty winds will make require adjustments, but if you smoked with a ECB, you've got this covered!  
77.gif

Mike

Reactions: wyojay
Hi Jason!  I load up my WSM with KBB and 5 chunks of wood, and throw on about 25 lit briquettes, foil the water pan, no water.  I have the top vent wide open and bottom vents wide open until the smoker reaches 225.  Then I close two bottom vents completely, and leave the third bottom vent 1/4 open.  My WSM will stay at 225-250 for at least 8 hrs without touching a thing at this point.  I will add that this is with mild wind conditions, gusty winds will make require adjustments, but if you smoked with a ECB, you've got this covered!  :77:

Mike
Hi Mike,

Thanks for the tip! I have the KBB"s and wood loaded, and the water pan foiled. I'll give the waterless method a try. The vent tips are a huge help! I found myself fiddling around with them quite a bit last weekend, so I was a little nervous about going to bed. Thank you much!

Jason

No problem Jason!  Just another tidbit of info...I've had butts take over 18 hrs to smoke!  That is without wrapping, I generally don't wrap until they are done, about 205.  I wrap in foil and towels and rest in a cooler for at least 2 hrs.  I think the bark is better this way.

Mike

18 hours?! Wow! I generally smoke 4 to 6 pounders and I think 10 hours smoking time has been my max. I started wrapping mine about halfway through the smoke though. True that the bark isn't as good, but I love the amount of juice it preserves. I mix that in when I pull it. I also brine my butts for at least 24 hours. I'll have to give your method a try sometime. I do like a good bark! Thanks again Mike! :)

Jason

Pork butts love all kinds of methods!  Yours sounds great!  I've never tried brining a butt, I'll bet it's good.  There are also some great finishing sauce recipes here for mixing with pulled pork!  

Mike

Thanks Mike! I started brining them fairly recently. The flavor is incredible! I'll have to look up those finishing sauce recipes.

Jason

Sounds like you have a plan!

And after a couple of smokes on the WSM, you will find it is pretty much set & forget.

Al

Sounds like you have a plan!

And after a couple of smokes on the WSM, you will find it is pretty much set & forget.

Al

Thanks Al! Yeah, she's still pretty green and wants to run hot. It took me a couple of hours this morning to get a steady 225F, but that's still lightyears ahead of my ECB. 6 hours in and this butt's IT is at 165. Time to wrap it!

Jason

Only 9 hours into the smoke and the IT hit 200...had to pull it out, wrapped it in a couple more layers of foil and a towel. I'm thinking my thermometer in my lid is off by around 50 degrees. I hope the butt's not ruined! 6 hours yet until dinner too... SMH

Yes the lid therms are off quite a bit, on mine it's 50 degrees.

It won't matter though, I smoke my butts at 270-280 all the time.

They just get done quicker.

Next time you run the smoker put water in the pan, it will help keep the temp down.

Al

Yes the lid therms are off quite a bit, on mine it's 50 degrees.

It won't matter though, I smoke my butts at 270-280 all the time.

They just get done quicker.

Next time you run the smoker put water in the pan, it will help keep the temp down.

Al

I honestly have no clue what I normally smoke them at since my ECB only has a guage that reads "Warm, Ideal, and Hot." I always tried to keep the needle on the e in ideal. Lol! I just assumed that was between 225 and 250 judging by the 1.5 hour per pound guideline. I'll try water in the pan next time I want to do a long smoke though! Thanks Al!

Jason

pork butt sounds good.. I'm gonna see if I can find one and do that tomorrow [emoji]128077[/emoji] good luck with the new smoker.. have fun!

Thanks Rings R Us!

Hey, those are some nice mods on that ECB! I bet they make a world of difference. I never got ambitious enough to try anything like that. Thumbs Up

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky