First Build - Offset, 20" steel pipe.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I am actually in the home stretch.  Picked up a piece of steel for tuning plates.  Have installed a larger firebox intake 'damper,' and a second, smaller (upper) intake damper.  Out of town for a week, then I hope to finish the cook grate, clean it good, and run it through an initial burn/seasoning...

Guys, As I approach the (sort of) finish line, I am considering putting channel up for a second cook grate above the main grate.  Any suggestions as far as spacing?  I was thinking I'd just split the difference...probably will be about 5"

Jon

Guys, As I approach the (sort of) finish line, I am considering putting channel up for a second cook grate above the main grate.  Any suggestions as far as spacing?  I was thinking I'd just split the difference...probably will be about 5"

Jon
On my 600mm smokers I squeeze in 3 grates with 115mm spacing.    

On the 20" tubes I use 2 at  125mm (5")    works fine.

Thanks.  It is so hot here in Pennsylvania that It is almost impossible to work on it too much (it's outside).  Hopefully I should pretty much wrap up the 'basics' by the weekend and get cooking.

Second 'test' burn.  I was stoking the fire wondering how in the world the temp inside the smoker could possibly be only 200.  Big roaring fire in the firebox.  So, I started up the bluetooth thermometer and put it in the cooker.  Guess what.  At this moment it is reading 425 inside the cook chamber.  the ‘outside’ cheap a$$ thermos are reading 250.  They are going in the TRASH.  Going to get two proper thermometers.

Great walk thru. Fun to watch it progress.  

Looks-Great.gif

Pretty awesome for your first project.

Last edited:
Reactions: amerbrittguy
No brand name on them. Say 'made in China' on the back. Purchased at an orange 'big box' home store.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky