First Buckboard Bacon with a Pork Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
thanks, the only reason i asked is that i soaked my dry cured boneless loins. i'll take a taste test for sure. i made a seperate pop's brine for some briskets i cut off some spare ribs and froze. i put them [three of them] in the brine on Saturday. i plan to smoke the butt tommorow.  that would make it 5 full day's in the brine for the briskets. would it be ok to smoke them tommorow with the butt or should i wait a few more days for the briskets. they are just the bony part of the brisket. i plan to use them for flavoring meals like beans and krout ect. thanks Reinhard
I would send pop's a pm and ask. I think the normal cure time per his recipe for beef is 10-20 days.

Sorry Dirtsailor, you may have overlooked that it was the brisket of a whole slab of pork sparerib i was speaking of [three of them], not a beef brisket. Reinhard

I cut and pasted this from "Pops6927's Wet Curing Brine"

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/110799/pops6927s-wet-curing-brine

Curing times vary with meat, but generally overnight to 2-3 days for chickens and turkeys, 8-10 days buckboard bacon, 10-14 days belly bacon, pork shoulder, whole butts, 3-4 weeks whole hams, 10-20 days corned beef (fresh beef roasts, briskets, rolled rib roasts, etc.)   If whole muscle is more than 2" thick, then inject so it can cure i/o as well as o/i, and/or in and around bone structures, etc.

You can add any other flavorings you'd like, this is just the basic curing brine. 1 heaping tablespoon of cure is about 1 ounce.  The maximum concentration allowed safely is 3.84 ounces per 1 gallon of brine (24 lbs.per 100 gallons: 16 oz. x 24 = 384 ounces, 1/100th is 3.84 ounces).  You can experiment with different concentrations as long as you keep it between those parameters:

thanks for taking the time to help. i'll give the briskets a few more days. thanks to all for the help. i'll post some pics when i'm done. Reinhard

here are some pics of the results--- 1. all done!!!!  for a total of 11 hours to reach 150 internal. started with low temps with no smoke first 2 hours and then cranked it up gradualy until the last 2 1/2 hours at 220 deg. all with smoke [cherry/hickory mix]. 2. halfway done in the smoker 3. i cut it in half length wise. 4. some sliced 5. more sliced and 6. everything sliced by hand with end pieces cubed for soups ect. thinking of getting a slicer for thinner slices. thanks everyone for the help. next time i'll do 4 butt. special thanks to Pops Brine---excelent!! Reinhard

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky