First Boston Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Inf3ct3d_r3x

Original poster
Mar 20, 2019
Hey everybody,
So I got ambitious and sent my wonderful wife to get a butt from the local butcher with these specifications: 8# bone in Boston Butt w/ ~1-1.5in fat cap.
I haven't had a look at it but I'll get pictures up tomorrow morning before I put the wet rub on it.
20190328_193734.jpg

This seems to be a good wet rub I have come up with and if it is any good I'll share the recipe.

The plan is to get up at about 0300 and fire up the Webber kettle to about 250°f, get the meat on at about 0400, have it done and on towels at 1700 in time for me to go to Dnd and pull it when I get home at about 2130.

I always smoke a butt at least the day before I need it. 2 reasons, butts can't tell time and I don't care how lucky you get a butt is only get done when it wants to. I keep pulled pork in my freezer all the time, so many things you can do with it. I will then put it in a crock pot to warm, it helps hold the moisture. I'll heat some of my BBQ sauce and put in a bowl with a spoon next to the crockpot and have some warned small hamburger buns. Small buns saves meat from those who really like it but their eyes are bigger than their stomach.

Second. I think its better the second day, after using a finishing sauce on it. Make sure you have some apple juice on hand incase you get a dry butt. I'd definitely look into a finishing sauce. I post below mine, but its just a bastardization of JJ's, that I learned to like.

I more thing, you are going to hit a stall 150 to 165, don't get scared it happens, some are an hour some are 8 hours, just depends upon your butt.

Check butchers sales on butts, I know here right now a good sale on whole twin cryo-pack butts is 88 cents, most are a dollar or less. When you tell a butcher 8 pounds then it becomes a custom order. Maybe cheaper to get a whole butt.

Thats enough for now.

The finishing sauce should be used sparingly. Its to enhance the flavor and moisture content without anyone really being able to taste or notice it. Generally I use about 2 tablespoons maybe. It adds to the meat taste vaguely.

JJ's Finishing Sauce

2C Apple Cider Vinegar

2T Worcestershire Sauce or more to taste

1/4C Brown Sugar

1T Smoked Paprika

2 tsp Granulated Garlic

2 tsp Granulated Onion

2 tsp Fine Grind Black Pepper

1 tsp Celery Salt

1 tsp Cayenne Pepper or Chipotle powder. Add more if you like Heat.

1/2 tsp Grnd Allspice

As adders per me:

¼ C Honey

¼ C Apple cider

Good luck, and look forward to seeing your results.

Reactions: crazymoon
Have fun and enjoy. Be sure to let us know how it turns out.

Chris

Thank you for the comments. I have no requirement for this butt to be done this is a "it's done when it's done" smoke.

My wife is very sensitive to vinegar so a finishing sauce with it is out of the question. I may look at using a apple juice based one that I've seen bouncing around here.

It was ~$3 a pound but I wanted the fresh meat (killed and cut same day) for my first butt. After I am definitely hitting up the supermarket.

Here is pics of the butt and after I wet rubbed it.

20190329_051428.jpg 20190329_051449.jpg 20190329_052127.jpg 20190329_051932.jpg 20190329_052243.jpg
I'll be posting an update a few times tomorrow (aka smoking day)

Last edited:
Welcome to smoking day!!!

It started off ruff
20° and snowing made it hard to get the coal started but once I did I had stable temps at about 285 so I threw the butt in at about 6...then the temp took a nose dive to 180ish.

But now it is all good and I have a nice light blue smoke and I'm holding around 250°f

I'll give yall an update when I hit the stall

We are getting close.
Hit a 30 min stall around 170 but It is 7 hours in and I'm at 190.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky