First attempt at pork belly

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Try doing some cold and some hot. See what you perfer. Learning to make bacon has been a fun and sometimes frustrating experiment. It's a bummer to have to wait that long just to have it not taste good. Even the bad stuff has tasted better than store bought stuff. When you get it down you will never buy store bought stuff
Jason

So I could cold smoke 12 hours no heat? Then wrap and refrigerate?
 I cold smoke 18-24 hours. I do 6-8 hours a day, then rest overnight in the fridge then repeat the 6-8 hours of smoke until I get the smoke I want. You could also smoke straight through if you have the time and want to.

When I am done I rest the bacon in the fridge uncovered for another 5 days prior to packaging.

Honestly I prefer texture of cold smoked bacon over hot smoked bacon.

As mentioned do some hot and do some cold. If you do hot and plan on smoking at 170° plan on a long smoke to get to the 150° IT you are shooting for.

Last edited:
 I cold smoke 18-24 hours. I do 6-8 hours a day, then rest overnight in the fridge then repeat the 6-8 hours of smoke until I get the smoke I want. You could also smoke straight through if you have the time and want to.

When I am done I rest the bacon in the fridge uncovered for another 5 days prior to packaging.

Honestly I prefer texture of cold smoked bacon over hot smoked bacon.

As mentioned do some hot and do some cold. If you do hot and plan on smoking at 170° plan on a long smoke to get to the 150° IT you are shooting for.
. Do you have a picture of your bacon after that much smoke? I've been cold smoking for about 10 hrs on my bacon but was thinking of going longer.

I used to smoke my bacon for 48 hours over hickory but now I only smoke it for 24 and that is sufficient for me.

Two slabs on 170 smoke IT 145 @ 4 hours in. Apple and maple wood. Guess I will take off at 150 and rest to room temp. Then wrap. Will be some fried in the morning! Hope it's good

I will be doing Bearcarver's bacon (extra smoky) recipe with next belly. Both of mine are good, a little on the too salty side, but I like the cold smoke slabs better.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky