First attempt at fondant potatoes

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Glock9x19

Fire Starter
Original poster
Dec 4, 2019
Watched a video maybe sometime last summer about making fondant potatoes. I’ve since Googled several different recipes and sort of winged these tonight. I loosely followed what other recipes said, but wasn’t very good about sticking to any one of them.

Started with Yukon gold potatoes (recipes always called for russets, but whatever). Peeled them and them in half. Cut the ends off and was left w/ some sort of like mesa shaped things. Normally the recipes call for turning them into more of a straight up cylinder shape. Not concerned. At that point, put them in water to sort of wash some of the starch away. Maybe 40 min. Then dried them off and put some salt and pepper on them.

14813055-A612-4EB2-8847-5530A635B146.jpeg

Next I got some avocado oil heated up over like medium high heat in a cast iron skillet and put the potatoes in and let them cook for about 7 minutes. After that, I flipped them over and added a little more than a stick of butter, some rosemary (out of a jar, I didn’t have any fresh on hand), some crushed garlic cloves, a little Badia Complete, some garlic powder...I think that was it. Once the butter started to sort of brown, I poured in a cup of chicken broth and put the entire thing into a 400º oven.
26BAC911-7D8D-4297-AA14-D038AC51F1E6.jpeg

512E0133-D421-4F11-96B8-E1D8FD89CC55.jpeg

Pulled them out after about 1/2 an hour.

ECEB4C7C-30AA-4701-93AC-F0F6D88B408E.jpeg

Turned out super good. Nice and crispy on the ends and soft in the center. If I wanted to create some of these to look better I think I could, but I’m not sure they could have tasted any better.

We do baby yukon golds and par boil em. let them cool a bit and pull the skins off then brown them in butter. Serve with porcupine meatballs. One of momma's favorite dinners. Lots of time spent on it tho.

Reactions: Brokenhandle
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky