Fired up for the first time

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

kouki

Original poster
Apr 8, 2010
Alright, I finished up my smoker trailer over the weekend and fired it up for the first time yesterday to start seasoning it.

I have a couple questions and need some input. When I fired it up I used about 3lbs of charcoal and a couple chunks of hickory on top of the charcoal. I'm not sure what the cooking chamber temp was because my thermometers haven't arrived yet, hopefully today. I could comfortably place my hand on the outside of the doors for about 20 seconds before I had to remove my hand. Does this sound reasonable? I'm thinking about raising my firebox grates about 2-3 inches to see if that gives more heat.

Also I noticed that if I close my chimney dampner more than about halfway I had some smoke leaking around my doors, I'm sure that is letting heat out as well. What is a good way to seal up the doors better?

Here are a couple pics, let me know what you think.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky