Finally getting started on my UDS build.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Awesome Looking Build. Can you tell me where you got the 2 inlet tubes and the 5" threaded pipe for smoke stack. Were these items purchased or made yourself. I found places that sell the inlet tubes, but I am having a hard time paying $80 plus for a set. Also curious why you added the 1" couplers to the inside of the air inlet?

Also wondering if those caster wheels will get hot once it has a basket bull of charcoal?

Thanks,

MeatSweats

MeatSweats86,
Thank you for the comment! [emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]127996[/emoji]
Okay let's see I bought the 1-1/2" air inlets pipes and the threaded smoke stack from a solved UDSparts.com. I believe they may of been the same ones you mentioned in your comment above. For me I couldn't see using 3/4" black pipe then have to add ball value/ gate system I don't like the look of it at all that's just my preference. As far as the extra 1" couple tonthe inside of the air inlet pipes I added as I may add rock insulation around the inside wall that will be 1" thick. All and all I'm very very pleased with the UDS Smoker holds temps great, the basket I made will hold 18lbs of charcoal easily and still have room for my wood chucks. Last weekend I smoked a 10lb pork butt had the temps running around 240-250 degrees the entire cook which only took 8hrs wow impressed with that alone then to top it off I used less then half of the charcoal in the basket. I must say ifs gonna be hard to go back to my other smokers lol.
Get back to me if you have any questions.
-Joe

Joe, How did you locate a 55 gallon drum that has the dimensions you quoted? I noticed you said your drum was 56" and a standard common 55 gallon drum is only around 34". I have thought about adding height to one to get more room but if you can find one this size that's great.

JAronld,
Sorry about that not was a type-o over height is 35-1/2" Know if you want to add some height you could use a Weber kettle lid just need to flare out the edge on the Weber kettle lid. I need to add the photos of the finished UDS Smoker I thought I added them to the post last week. Thanks again
-Joe

Just wanted to added the photos of my finished UDS Smoker along with the first cook on it, smoked a rack trimmed spare ribs/ aka St. Louis style ribs and a couple racks of BB ribs. Had the smoker running around 225-250 degrees for about 2.5 hrs then wrapped them for 45 mins and let them rest and add a light glaze of sauce. Take a look tell me what your thoughts are and what you may have done differently.
Thanks again for reading and commenting on my post.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky