Electric smokers

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

maineman

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jan 3, 2017
Hi all, I’ve been using my MES 40” smoker for years. It’s starting to show its age and I’ve been looking at replacements. What are your recommendations on a replacement electric one? Manufacture and model would be helpful. Thanks much

What's wrong with your MES40? Electrical issues? There are many members here who like me, love our MES40's, most being modified to last.

Reactions: tallbm
By adding a PID controller that MES can be better than when it was new. tallbm tallbm is the guy to talk to about the simple rewire to add a PID.

But if you're into a brand new unit a lot folks love the Smokin-It line of electric smokers.

I’ve replaced the heating element twice. I do like it but mostly just use it for quick last minute smokes or cheese. I normally fire up the big reverse flow of set for planned cooks. Guess it dies t have to be replaced but I was just thinking of replacing it.

Second vote for Smokin-It. I have a Cookshack 008 and Smokin-Tex 1400 and 2 Smokin-It. Smokin-It has the same quality as CS and ST. Note the ones I have are only analog, don't need the PID/digital variety.
I have the Smokin-It #1. I take it camping and use it for 1 turkey breast or 4 pieces of 2.5# pork loin canadian bacon, or 5# meat loaf. I also have a #3 that I use for for larger cooks, jerky and bacon. I also prefer doing ribs in the #3 because it will cook a full rack of ribs, no cutting required.

These all replaced my MES30 with mailbox mod. The only thing the MES did better was cheese after the mailbox mod.

I have the Smokin-It #1. I take it camping and use it for 1 turkey breast or 4 pieces of 2.5# pork loin canadian bacon, or 5# meat loaf. I also have a #3 that I use for for larger cooks, jerky and bacon
What kind of flavor wood is used? Have you ever used either model as a holding oven?

I use apple and cherry for almost everything. For salmon, I use alder only.
If I'm doing anything except jerky and need to hold the meat, I turn heat down to 140 and leave door closed. The most I have held is 4 hours.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky