Dutch Oven for wood box?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thunder835

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 20, 2017
I was trying to figure out what to use for a wood box above the propane burner. I had an idea of using a deep Dutch oven and then drilling holes in the lid to allow the smoke out into the smokehouse. Has anyone tried this? Any drawbacks?

Thanks!

Mark

Last edited:
I was trying to figure out what to use for a wood box above the propane burner. I had an idea of using a deep Dutch oven and then drilling holes in the lid to allow the smoke out into the smokehouse. Has anyone tried this? Any drawbacks?

Thanks!

Mark
Please dont do that to a DO.  There are so many cheaper options out there.  any old CI skillet would work or anything with a thick metal bottom.  Good cast iron is expensive and getting harder to find.

If you do go with the DO,  just leave the lid off and put your wood chunks inside.  that way you still might be able to resurrect the DO when you realize the error of your ways. 
icon_cry.gif

I might be over sensitive,  but CI cookware has a soft spot in my heart and is really the most underappreciated thing in most peoples kitchens.

Big Chief wood chip pans are available at W-M...  You can cover it with aluminum foil or the removed end of a BIG tin can...   put a few holes in what ever you cover it with...   These pans are SS and last a Looooong time...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky