Double D "Fried" Chicken

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
You have a way of always making me hungry Disco, your butchering skills and chicken looks amazing.

This is one of my lifetime favorite meals by the way, oven fried chicken with Italian cut green beans a big scoop of mashed potatoes with light brown gravy made out of the pan drippings and heavy cream. I go back and forth between using the butter milk soak or if I'm in a hurry I'll skip the butter milk soak and heavily coat the chicken parts with a liberal coating of Dijon mustard and paprika , salt and white pepper then dredge it in a 50/50 mix of flour and cracker meal. Actually I like the chicken fixed with the Dijon better, try it sometime.
Dijon is also a great wetting agent for oil or oven frying pretty much any white fish.

Dan

You have an open invite. Come on up, I'll cook for you!

Buttermilk isn't always available here. However, I have been experimenting with yogurt with good results in baking. I am thinking of using it in the chicken marinade.

Thanks for the invite but right now we are under a lock down.

Warren

That chicken looks absolutely mouth watering, very nice! I saw where you mentioned that you can't always get ButterMilk in your area. You may already know this, but you can add 1 Tablespoon of white Vinegar per 1 Cup of Milk to make Buttermilk in a pinch. I do it all the time here because it is only sold in quantities too large for my needs.

That chicken looks absolutely mouth watering, very nice! I saw where you mentioned that you can't always get ButterMilk in your area. You may already know this, but you can add 1 Tablespoon of white Vinegar per 1 Cup of Milk to make Buttermilk in a pinch. I do it all the time here because it is only sold in quantities too large for my needs.
Bill, butter milk is so easy to make that it's insane, I never buy butter milk I make it as needed.
Take whatever milk you normally drink and for each cup of milk add 1 TBLS of either lemon juice or vinegar, shake it up and let it sit on the counter for 20 to 30 minutes before you use it.
( bottled lemon juice works just as well as fresh squeezed in this instance.)
Wahla you just made butter milk!!!

I worked a bakery for a few yrs and all they ever used was homemade butter milk, they used 1/4 tsp of citric acid whisked in to each cup of milk.

If you have a carton of milk that smells a little off/ sour'd in the refer that is also butter milk.

Dan:emoji_thumbsup:

Bill, butter milk is so easy to make that it's insane, I never buy butter milk I make it as needed.
Take whatever milk you normally drink and for each cup of milk add 1 TBLS of either lemon juice or vinegar, shake it up and let it sit on the counter for 20 to 30 minutes before you use it.
( bottled lemon juice works just as well as fresh squeezed in this instance.)
Wahla you just made butter milk!!!

I worked a bakery for a few yrs and all they ever used was homemade butter milk, they used 1/4 tsp of citric acid whisked in to each cup of milk.

If you have a carton of milk that smells a little off/ sour'd in the refer that is also butter milk.

Dan:emoji_thumbsup:
Thanks Forktender. Yes, that is what I was explaining to Disco in my post above. I make it the same way as you do as I only uaually need 1 or 2 cups at a time, and use it very infrequently.

We make homemade Ricotta Cheese using either Lemon juice or vinegar for the acid in a similar manner as well, just a bit different technique and milk/acid ratio.

You have a way of always making me hungry Disco, your butchering skills and chicken looks amazing.

This is one of my lifetime favorite meals by the way, oven fried chicken with Italian cut green beans a big scoop of mashed potatoes with light brown gravy made out of the pan drippings and heavy cream. I go back and forth between using the butter milk soak or if I'm in a hurry I'll skip the butter milk soak and heavily coat the chicken parts with a liberal coating of Dijon mustard and paprika , salt and white pepper then dredge it in a 50/50 mix of flour and cracker meal. Actually I like the chicken fixed with the Dijon better, try it sometime.
Dijon is also a great wetting agent for oil or oven frying pretty much any white fish.

Dan

Thanks for the suggestion. I have used mayonnaise for quick breading and mayonnaise dijon mixed but never just Dijon.

Thanks for the invite but right now we are under a lock down.

Warren

You can make it. Just tell the Canadian border guards you know me. Kidding, come on up when you can!

I have used that substitution and it works OK (the Sriracha causes some of the effect in whole milk). However, I find it is less viscous than the commercial version. Thanks for the kind words.

That chicken looks great Disco! Big LIKE from here. Will have to give this a shot. Chris gmc2003 gmc2003 has done a lot of "fried" stuff on his kettle with no oil. Maybe ya'll can compare notes.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have used mayonnaise for quick breading and mayonnaise dijon mixed but never just Dijon.

You can make it. Just tell the Canadian border guards you know me. Kidding, come on up when you can!

I have used that substitution and it works OK (the Sriracha causes some of the effect in whole milk). However, I find it is less viscous than the commercial version. Thanks for the kind words.
You're welcome. Yes, I agree wholeheartedly, that is my only complaint as well about the substitution, it being less viscous that real buttermilk. Sure could use a couple of pieces of your chicken right about now!!! :-)

Thanks Forktender. Yes, that is what I was explaining to Disco in my post above. I make it the same way as you do as I only uaually need 1 or 2 cups at a time, and use it very infrequently.

We make homemade Ricotta Cheese using either Lemon juice or vinegar for the acid in a similar manner as well, just a bit different technique and milk/acid ratio.
I was in a daze when I read your post, sorry about that. LOL.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky