Doing a second season on a mes?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

meemeemisty

Original poster
Dec 14, 2014
Nw ga
I finally got my mes and I am seasoning it now. I was wondering about running it a second time using wood chips for about 3 hrs with no meat. Would this help with my ribs or butt on my first food cook in it to a have a better smoke flavor?
With our old brinkmanship it seemed like the 3rd cook was when we finally got that good smoke taste and was just wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks they could share.
Thanks so much in advance!

I would do that, it will give you a chance to see, how the MES chip loader and tray work. Be sure to stay out side and watch it I had the loader blow out on mine. Use dry chips vents open and tink about getting an AMNPS it will save loads of time. Good Luck with it.

What exactly do you mean by blow out? Sorry if that is a dumb question lol but learning as I go...

I finally got my mes and I am seasoning it now. I was wondering about running it a second time using wood chips for about 3 hrs with no meat. Would this help with my ribs or butt on my first food cook in it to a have a better smoke flavor?
With our old brinkmanship it seemed like the 3rd cook was when we finally got that good smoke taste and was just wondering if anyone had any tips or tricks they could share.
Thanks so much in advance!
I only seasoned mine once. I'm not an expert but I don't know how much the seasoning adds to the smoke flavors. The seasoning procedure is to burn off any factory chemical residues was what I thought.

I think you'll find that in the beginning your meats might have a harsh, smoky taste. That happens to all of us, I think. Smoking is all about learning good techniques; the right amount of smoke over the right amount of time. How much wood chips or pellets or dust to use over that time. How long to keep the meat exposed to smoke and when and how long to foil it over. What kind of rubs and sauces to add  in layers of flavors to achieve the flavor profile you want. It's fascinating, fun, and fulfilling when it all comes together the first time and then on a consistent basis.

It's OK . The more you run your smoker the more you lean about it. Run it take temp reading at all the levels and sides of the box learn where the hot spots are. In time you will better understand an be able to take advantage those attributes and weaknesses. I like many suggest you keep a log of your Smoking. This includes the heating information gained from running it.

Those are just my opinions. Your mileage may vary,  but knowledge is power.  Jted

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky