Do these patio heaters actually work ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin Okie

Master of the Pit
Original poster
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Jun 27, 2018
Oklahoma City
I see restaurants using them, but I wonder how effective they are in the wind. My covered patio is on the south side of my house and I have good north wind protection. But I can't envision these things warming my patio with a south wind.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...000-btu-outdoor-patio-heater-with-cover-ah003

456&fmt=jpeg&qlt=100,0&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=0.9,1.jpg

Well, we get a lot of wind here. And its a prevailing south wind.

I notice the restaurants put up wind screens.

That has been my experience also. Be careful on a covered patio, minimum distance above.

My favorite bier garten uses ones with a long quartz glass tube that radiates a lot of heat. But like the others say, any wind makes it less effective. Get close enough and you can still get some warming.

I used to use one in my garage during winter (Michigan) to overhaul my race motorcycle. Open the garage a bit to exhaust the co2. It would get warm enough for a t-shirt and pants while rebuilding the bike.

My favorite bier garten uses ones with a long quartz glass tube that radiates a lot of heat. But like the others say, any wind makes it less effective. Get close enough and you can still get some warming.

We had one of those. It was very nice, better that the one pictured above (we have both). One day mr wind visited and thought it looked better horizontal than vertical. The tube cracked into pieces. We still have the other type but don't use it often.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky