Do or Do Not split a pork butt before smoking?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nascar_in_tx

Fire Starter
Original poster
Oct 15, 2006
Hey All,

I was on pulled pork duty for a group of friends at a get together out of town last weekend. I bought two 8lb. pork butts. Smoked them, rested, pulled, vacuum sealed and froze. I thawed them out two days prior to the get together, placed the pulled pork in a couple of aluminum foil pans with drippings, foiled and heated. It turned out great, everyone was happy.

Now I've been given a 16lb. pork butt and requested to have it smoked and pulled for a Birthday party being held out of town on July 4th at a friends lake house. I'm in the same boat as above, need to smoke ahead of time and re-heat at the party.

I bought the first two at a meat market and they were packed two butts to a vacuum bag, four bags to the case. With this said, Can I Cut this 16lb. butt in half (creating two pieces of meat that appear to be the same as what I bought, shape wise) and expect the same results? Or do I really need to leave it as one piece and wait out the smoke?

I really do not care to do a 24+ hour smoke if I can split the pork and do it in ~16 hours. Suggestions anyone?

Thanks all!!!

Planning to do the butt and a 14lb. brisket this weekend, will post q-view!!!

Cut it. The piece with the bone may go a little longer but the time overall will be the same...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky