DIY Reverse flow smoker won't get hot or sustain big fire - modification/project

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dobson156

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jun 10, 2019
Hi everyone, I recently purchased a 2nd hand smoker which the guy had built himself. It's made from thick flue steel so if I can get it up and running will probably be better than anything I can afford to buy from new (I am in the UK where these things aren't commonplace).

TphIeWx.jpg

RUuLoD9.jpg

However there is a problem. I don't seem to be able to sustain a fire large or hot enough to get the cooking chamber (CC) up to temperature - at least not without a lot of work (such as burning fine kindling which requires constant replenishing, poking and topping up).

The design is as follows:

SX5XNGC.jpg

So it's not a 'true' reverse flow smoker as the floor plate (2 in diagram) is perforated (more on that later).

geQQxk8.jpg

The major quirk to the design however is that the Firebox (FB) is separated from CC via a length of flue steel (ID = 4.5" len = 4.5").

First cook:
My first experiment was to use the smoker in the most basic way possible, leaving everything as you see above. I lit a chimney of charcoal, let it get up to heat, put it in the FB and put small oak sticks on the top.

There was thick smoke from the chimney and the wood would smoulder pathetically. I place the coals on the side closest to the CC and under the connecting pipe between the FB and CC. I placed wood I was about to burn on the other side to it was nice and warm when it was to go on the fire.

Second cook:
I did some investigation online and it seems as though the issue might be that the fire was not hot or big enough. So i tried it again but this time with 2 full chimneys - I experience almost exactly the same issue as before.

Experimentation:
I took the opportunity to try a few things and see what was and wasn't working. The first thing I did was experiment with cracking the door of the FB open, this had a good effect. Instead of smouldering the wood would burn with flame. However a lot of heat and smoke was lost though the open door - so the CC didn't really get that much hotter.

I also took the opportunity to remove the internal baffling so the smoke went straight into CC at the side closest the FB and straight out of the chimney. When I did this in-conjunction with the door being cracked I was able to just about get a decent cook (of course only in the area very close to stack - so not big enough for anything other than a small chicken.

Third Cook:
I decided I would dispense with the peculiarity of this design with the perforated floor plate and try and convert it into a normal reverse flow smoker. To do this I used foil tape to seal up all of the joins and the perforations. I pulled the floor plate towards the FB a bit create a gap at the far end of the CC to the smoke to perform it's U-turn.

fhgIPLd.jpg

VE0NUg8.jpg

Rather depressingly at first I was experiencing all of the same issues as before. Thick white smoker, struggling to keep wood burning properly, it just wanted to smoulder.

I then decide to increase the the size of the stack. With a DIY extension:

2GZoEVo.jpg

This had a clear positive impact on the draw speed and seemed to make thing a tiny bit more stable. But not a lot.

I then decide to move the fire from the side closest the CC to the side closest the inlet. And at last I was able to burn wood with a flame with the fire box door close. However the fire is rather unstable - it only likes to burn fine kindling which require topping up and poking frequently and even then from time to time it'd still decide it was going to self extinguish.

Early Prediction:
A this point I am thinking to myself the issue is surely that the fire is not getting enough clean air in to burn hot and constantly enough.

Maths:

So in my research on trying to fix this issue I ran across this post on this forum:

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t...eady-to-use-rev5-6-19-15.172425/#post_1264161

Here is how the stats weigh up for my smoker:

Size of chambers
The FB & CC are made from 13.5" ID flue steel.
The FB is 19.5" long
The CC is 40" long

using V=πr^2h

the volume of the CC is 5725.55cuIn
the volume of the FB is 2791cuIn

According the formula above, the FB needs to be at least: CCvol X 0.33 for my smoker this is 1889cuIn. That suggests to me that my firebox is plenty big enough for my CC (too big?).

Size of inlet
The formula also tells us how big the air inlet needs to be. Roughly speaking my is a circle which half of the material has been removed. The diameter of that circle is 3.75" which using A=πr^2 gives me 11.0sqIn - which when we consider it's only half filled is then ~5.5sqIn.

If I use the formula then I calculate that I need CCvol x 0.001 which is 5.725sqIn - pretty damn close.

Size of chamber connections
The tube that connects the FB and CC together is 4.5" diameter and 4.5" long. If we calculate the area of the cross section (using A=πr^2) then we get: 15.9sqIn.

If we use the formulate then it should be CCvol x 0.004 which is 22.90sqIn.

So could this be the problem?

Question:
Thanks for sticking with me if you've made it this far!

If it was just that the FB-CC interconnect is too small in diameter, if I were to artificially shorten the length of the CC - thus reducing it's volume - then I should be able to see whether or not this really is the bottleneck, is that right? I could do this with an internal temporary baffle.

To the experience eye, does it seems as thought the symptoms described could be caused by a narrow connection? To the highly untrained eye this seems to be to me an issue with getting clean air to the fire in the first place. Especially considering behaves itself much better when the door is cracked (although a considerable amount of smoke & heat is lost through that exit too - so maybe at explains it)

According to the guide above about 20per cent of the inlet should be above the fire grate. Seeing as my fag-packet calculations show that inlet is slight undersized (I will do a more accurate calculation later) I think that drilling some higher inlet holes might be a fairly unintrusive experiment. Does this sound sensible?

If there are other experiments I could conduct that I am happy to give them a go too. I really don't want to take a grinder this thing until I am at least fairly certain what's going on.

Thanks.

It sure does sound like you have an air flow problem. I have no experience with this kind of rig but I am just curious, have you tried using some kind of blower on your FB inlet? This could also help to diagnose an inefficient natural flow. Good luck and I am curious to see what you find out to be the fix.

Someone much smarter than I will be along to help but if I had to guess I would say you need more air flow under your fire. The way your vent is it only allows half the volume of air in and in my opinion with the billowy smoke and the fire going out it sounds like a air shortage.

Reactions: JC in GB
Someone much smarter than I will be along to help but if I had to guess I would say you need more air flow under your fire. The way your vent is it only allows half the volume of air in and in my opinion with the billowy smoke and the fire going out it sounds like a air shortage.

Thanks for the response. The calculation I made above takes account of the fact that the inlet is ~50% filled in. The amount of surface area is approximately in accordance with the amount the formula specifies. Perhaps slightly under which I why I suggested adding to inlets higher up above the fire grate.

Perhaps the formula is wrong - as the formula ties the size of the inlet to the size of the CC whereas surely the size of the FB has some bearing on it too?

I happy to enlarge the inlet - but I would like someone with more experience in building and trouble shooting these things to weigh in before I do.

It sure does sound like you have an air flow problem. I have no experience with this kind of rig but I am just curious, have you tried using some kind of blower on your FB inlet? This could also help to diagnose an inefficient natural flow. Good luck and I am curious to see what you find out to be the fix.

Hi, I had thought about that but I don't currently own anything suitable. I'll have a look online and see if anyone is selling a used leaf blower or similar.

Hi, I had thought about that but I don't currently own anything suitable. I'll have a look online and see if anyone is selling a used leaf blower or similar.

I think a leaf blower may be way too much CFM for that...

I was thinking more like a window fan taped into a box that is then ducted to your air inlet. A bit of foil around the box that gets next to the inlet. You don't need a fully engineered solution yet.... My $0.02...

Reactions: PapaLlama
I think a leaf blower may be way too much CFM for that...

I was thinking more like a window fan taped into a box that is then ducted to your air inlet. A bit of foil around the box that gets next to the inlet. You don't need a fully engineered solution yet.... My $0.02...

Yep, can give that a go. It's going to look funky.

Hmmm, actually I wonder if I have an old 120mm computer cooling fan lying around.

Hmmm, actually I wonder if I have an old 120mm computer cooling fan lying around.[/QUOTE]
I think that would work great

I suspect if you were to add some factors for airflow resistance for the into your calculations the answers will become more apparent. The pipe connection between firebox and cc is particularly suspect.....and when combined with a single inlet vent, I am surprised you are able to keep anything short of tissue paper burning. Your comment that leaving the firebox door open helped the flame, but allowed to much heat to escape antidotally confirmed as much.
Removing the pipe and directly connecting the firebox to the cc would remove that choke point, adding a couple more vents higher up on the firebox will allow you to properly adjust the fresh air available for combustion. An exhaust plenum would also help reduce resistance on the exhaust side and increase the draft.
Only after the airflow issues are addressed would I start tweeting the tuning plate inside the cc.
Hopefully you are proficient at metal fabrication (or have a meat loving friend who is)....sounds like the new toy I going to need some serious surgery.

Thanks for such a comprehensive reply.

I suspect if you were to add some factors for airflow resistance for the into your calculations the answers will become more apparent. The pipe connection between firebox and cc is particularly suspect.....

Is there anyway I can prove that this is the case?

I thought that if I could artificially reduce is the the chamber to the point where a 4.5" connection is the correct size the that would go some way to showing that this is what needs to remedied. What do you think?

I have conducted a similar test (as mentioned above) where I removed the inner baffling, effectively significantly reducing the side of CC and that did burn much hotter - but obviously unsuitable for smoking.

and when combined with a single inlet vent, I am surprised you are able to keep anything short of tissue paper burning.

This seems like the most simple thing to remedy first and foremost. Any examples of a better design?

Removing the pipe and directly connecting the firebox to the cc would remove that choke point, adding a couple more vents higher up on the firebox will allow you to properly adjust the fresh air available for combustion.

That might be more difficult as the connecting pipe is what allows the door of the firebox to open fully.

An exhaust plenum would also help reduce resistance on the exhaust side and increase the draft.

I think that's a bit outside of my skills right now

Only after the airflow issues are addressed would I start tweeting the tuning plate inside the cc.

Sure, that's why I blocked up the holes in the perforations to effectively 'reset' it back to a RF smoker.

Hopefully you are proficient at metal fabrication (or have a meat loving friend who is)....sounds like the new toy I going to need some serious surgery.

Ermm, I can grind and drill, welding will be new to me.

I'm no scientific genius, but I have built 18 smokers now. So, there are 3 problems from your description. First, get rid of the 4.5" pipe from the FB to the CC. Even though your equations are correct, friction causes a huge problem going from a larger area, to smaller, to and even larger area. So, that's problem 1. Problem two, you need two sets of air inlets. The first set, needs to below your fire. This would be the main air intake. The second set of intakes need to be directly across your opening between the FB and the CC. This will allow for the heat, from your FB to be "pushed" into the CC. The third problem, is your stack. As you mentioned in your post, the larger stacked helped. You'll have to calculate the correct length depending on the diameter of your stack. (At the top of the RF build forum. Look at Dave's calculations post) after you have completed those mods, you'll be good to go. I'm sure Dave will be by shortly with a much more details. Good luck, sir!
One last problem I just realized. Fill those holes in, in your rf plate. You'll never get proper airflow if you dont.

Your long narrow CC will cause endless problems... I would move the stack to the other end of the CC..
Fix the FB/CC opening as stated above... Fix the FB air openings also...
The FB/CC opening would be greatly improved if you followed the build tutorial and make it a shape like the GREEN area and weld it up...
5f7 2.jpg

Thanks for the response.

First, get rid of the 4.5" pipe from the FB to the CC.

I would rate this mod an 8/10 for difficulty. There is a reasons there is a pipe there and that's to allow for the door of the FB to open!

And whilst I am 100% on board with learning to weld, I don't have all of the clamps and benches that'd be required to hold the work piece still whilst I do the operation - that's just me being realistic.

I am not adverse to doing the operation, I just want to be 100% sure it's necessary.

Problem two, you need two sets of air inlets. The first set, needs to below your fire.

Ok, so I have that set already. Does that look like enough? It meets the requirements of the formula - or should I make another set below the grate to spread the intake out on the horizontal plane.

The second set of intakes need to be directly across your opening between the FB and the CC.

Ok this is easy for me to do. Do you have any examples I can look at - or would some round holes drilled at top of the FB work (I can fabricate I a closure for this once I can sustain a fire!

The third problem, is your stack. As you mentioned in your post, the larger stacked helped. You'll have to calculate the correct length depending on the diameter of your stack.

Yep using Dave's formula I figured it needs to be about 21" above the CC. It was originally 14" but with the cardboard mod it was 24" so fairly close - I'll make sure it's spot on next time.

If the length of the Stack improve the draw, and the connection is increasing the flow-friction - could extending it further potentially help over come this hold up?

I'm sure Dave will be by shortly with a much more details. Good luck, sir!

Yeah it'd be great hear from him. And thanks for the luck - I am going to need it - but I am always up for a project!

I would move the stack to the other end of the CC

Hi Dave,

To to be 100% clear, what you are actually advocating is converting my Reverse Flow smoker into a traditional Offset?

I had thought about this, and I am not against it, in fact I like the idea. I didn't specifically go for a reverse flow, it's just what came my way.

And to be clear, if I did that then I wouldn't really need the baffles either?

Fix the FB/CC opening as stated above...

You mean join the two chambers together - in the traditional way? This is doable if I move the stack as you suggest because the stack would no longer block the firebox door.

Fix the FB air openings also.

Sorry for the dumb questions but could you elaborate a bit more on this one?

I know I should add some more vents higher up on the FB inline with the join, but is there something I should be doing with the existing lower vents? I am all ears.

The FB/CC opening would be greatly improved if you followed the build tutorial and make it a shape like the GREEN area and weld it up...

Wouldn't there be corresponding curved section on the top side to accommodate the curvature of the FB? Or does that want to be a straight horizontal connection

Exhaust Calculation..

ESV in cubic inches_____________________________ ... =
0.7854 X Stack Diameter X Stack Diameter x
Stack Length in inches (36" +/-)

Adjust the diameter of the stack, until the proper length is achieved... be sure to measure the actual internal diameter of the pipe used..
this is for round stacks only..

Thanks again Dave. But I am struggling a bit to keep up.

Isn't the ESV calculation you've listed there specifically for a RV smoker, but didn't you advocate me altering the design so it becomes a traditional offset? Or did I misunderstand that.

Apologies for being slow or misreading.

Additionally - if I understanding the formula for ESV correctly - what you are saying is that the stack should be as near to 36" above the top of the CC as possible and I should var the diameter of the flue pipe to achieve the required ESV.

Please let me know if I've got any of that wrong.

I see the issue with the firebox. If you intend on switching the stack to the other side, that solves that problem. However if you feel you still want the reverse flow, only other thing I could think of, would be to remove the firebox, find your green area as Dave mentioned, then proceed to make that cutout work into the CC. As for holding the firebox in its properly place while you connect the two pieces, a tractor, forklift, car Jack on blocks, a table that you can position in place... the options are really endless, or find a friend or two that can hold it in place while you tac it into place. (Not the best option, but hey, if that's the way it has to be done so be it)

As for the intakes. Make the uppers the same size as the bottoms. Personally I find it easier to control the air flow. As for the bottom intake, personally I like the intake about 1" below my fire grates. It will work just above but wont be as efficient. It looks like your main intake is fine. If anything, add a piece of expanded metal to the bottom of your FB to allow for proper clearance of your intake.

As for your stack, the longer the better. If your calculations brought you to the conclusion of 24" you should be fine up to about 28-30". Hopefully that helps.

I see the issue with the firebox. If you intend on switching the stack to the other side, that solves that problem. However if you feel you still want the reverse flow,

Heres the thing, is it going to make a better reverse flow smoker if I do that, or is it going to never be a better reverse flow smoker because it's too long and thin and a traditional offset is going to produce better results?

If the Traditional offset is going to be better I'll just switch the stack over and remove the internal baffling.

only other thing I could think of, would be to remove the firebox, find your green area as Dave mentioned, then proceed to make that cutout work into the CC.

I still don't quite get the green area, that shows a semi circle with a flat top, surely mine would be two overlapping circles?

As for holding the firebox in its properly place while you connect the two pieces, a tractor, forklift, car Jack on blocks, a table that you can position in place... the options are really endless, or find a friend or two that can hold it in place while you tac it into place.

Oh right so it doesn't have to be that accurate?

If anything, add a piece of expanded metal to the bottom of your FB to allow for proper clearance of your intake.

Would you mind expanding on that, sorry, I am new to all this. There is currently a grate inside the firebox which lifts the fire above the intake.

As for your stack, the longer the better. If your calculations brought you to the conclusion of 24" you should be fine up to about 28-30". Hopefully that helps.

Ok, but if I use Dave's formula and aim for 30" then the tube I am using right now is way too thick. I should be using something closer to 2.5" wide.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky