DIY kitchen remodel tips wanted

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks great ! Where's your range or cook top ? I see the oven . Is it one of the newer setups that has the induction in the counter top ?
the second pic on the right, it was not pushed back in yet. Gas top and double oven underneath. The "oven" next to the french door wine/beer fridge is a drop in drawer microwave.

Reactions: chopsaw
Cliff you reminded me of another tip.
If your remodel requires new electric feed to the range / oven make sure the electrician uses 40 amp wiring from the load center even if you are using an all gas unit. In the future if you decide to revise from an all gas unit to a gas range and electric oven unit, the wiring is in place.
I hope this makes sense to you. I love gas range tops but despise gas ovens and prefer electric.

If your remodel requires new electric feed to the range / oven make sure the electrician uses 40 amp wiring from the load center even if you are using an all gas unit. In the future if you decide to revise from an all gas unit to a gas range and electric oven unit, the wiring is in place.
I hope this makes sense to you. I love gas range tops but despise gas ovens and prefer electric.
The electrician ran all new wire to the panel, all old stuff was removed.

We just completed a full kitchen remodel that involved knocking down a wall. We had no water of any kind on the first floor for 6 weeks as the bathroom was torn to the studs. We had an electric griddle, air fryer, microwave, crock pot in our living room (that is now our new dinging room). I did nothing but write the $100K check

We went from this
View attachment 688839View attachment 688840
To this
View attachment 688841View attachment 688842View attachment 688843

That looks great ! We've put that project off too long.

the second pic on the right,
OK , I see it now . Thanks . I'm in the market for a new range . Really want a slide in , but my countertops have a backsplash on them . Trying to decide if I want to build new tops .

Reactions: clifish
yeah we won't be doing any more kitchen changes while we are in the house. The only reason we did this is a leak caused some mold on a lower cabinet and outside wall. Hopefully the next house will be newer when we bolt out of NY in a few years. I can get something nice, bigger, newer in SC that will have taxes and HOA fees a 1/3 of just what my taxes are now.

Reactions: 912smoker
That sure looks nice Cliff and certainly added to the value when you sell !
I know it was worth the wait and pains !

Keith

Reactions: clifish
That sure looks nice Cliff and certainly added to the value when you sell !
I know it was worth the wait and pains !

Keith
It is sure nice to have more countertop space for prepping and cooking, best part is the beverage fridge, left side for beer and right side for wine.

We did ours about a year ago. Moved walls, plumbing, electric, lights, cabinets. It was a complete change from what was there before. We had two cabinets damaged and one that wasnt built right. Took 4 weeks to get the damaged cabinets replaced. It took 4 tries and 6 months to correctly build the double oven cabinet. We temporarily installed the oven cabinet so could get the counters installed and were able to install one of the ovens. We cooked on a coleman stove and the grill out on the covered patio. We have a full size sink in the laundry so doing dishes by hand wasnt a big deal. I did all the work myself except coutertops and tape and mud drywall. My biggest mistake was hiring a handyman to tape and mud because cabinets were coming in and i was out town for work and had no time. He charged a rediculous amount for what should have been a few days work and then it was crappy work and took him over two weeks and still had to fix it. Biggest suggestion is to have patience and a definite plan of the work. Things we did that really like are install a pot filler in a cubby above the gas cooktop, stand alone electric oven and a combo speed oven microwave, a full 9’ height x 2’ wide x 6” deep spice cabinet that is at the end of a cabinet row, mini beverage fridge, stand alone ice maker, large one level island with a cantilever so can put stools under it. Oh and under cabinet lighting. Crown moulding is a great Finishing touch but is hard to install. We also added a large walk in pantry where we keep our freezer

One thing different we did was have an open cabinet in the end of the island that tiled bottom of and installed a dog watering station with a pot filler inside.

IMG_0701.jpeg
IMG_0700.jpeg
IMG_0697.jpeg
IMG_0698.jpeg
IMG_0702.jpeg
IMG_0699.jpeg
IMG_0703.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: mike243
Sorry I’m late to the party.
Best advice I have is: PMA. In survival school we taught Positive Mental Attitude. With it, survival is almost guaranteed.
One day DW came home and went to set her purse on the end of the kitchen counter as was her wont. Except there was no counter. No kitchen. Nothing but wall studs and slab foundation! Ok, communication might not be my strong point. I think aforementioned DW couldn’t decide murder first, then divorce or the other way round. During that fleeting indecision I was able to point out it’d be just like camping! Except running water is closer! I set up the 2-burner camp stove under the open window (portable fan blowing) And got to work.
We’d been looking at reno ideas for a while; the final puzzle piece finally dropped. I had a plan for relocating things, accurate measurements, etc. Had the demo & removal done on day 1. I started the cabinet carcasses while Hickory face lumber was collected, fixtures and appliances ordered, etc. I’d ordered sink/granite countertops to be installed pending inspection of my cabinet carcasses. Once the countertops were in, water turned on and cooktop in, we ‘moved in’ while I got busy building cabinet faces, doors and drawers. At this point, DW even pitched in for the floor tiling!
Point is, PMA got us the kitchen of our dreams. Believe in the result, focus on the journey, remember the past. “This too shall pass”.
Hope this helps!

Reactions: BigW.
We did ours about a year ago. Moved walls, plumbing, electric, lights, cabinets. It was a complete change from what was there before. We had two cabinets damaged and one that wasnt built right. Took 4 weeks to get the damaged cabinets replaced. It took 4 tries and 6 months to correctly build the double oven cabinet. We temporarily installed the oven cabinet so could get the counters installed and were able to install one of the ovens. We cooked on a coleman stove and the grill out on the covered patio. We have a full size sink in the laundry so doing dishes by hand wasnt a big deal. I did all the work myself except coutertops and tape and mud drywall. My biggest mistake was hiring a handyman to tape and mud because cabinets were coming in and i was out town for work and had no time. He charged a rediculous amount for what should have been a few days work and then it was crappy work and took him over two weeks and still had to fix it. Biggest suggestion is to have patience and a definite plan of the work. Things we did that really like are install a pot filler in a cubby above the gas cooktop, stand alone electric oven and a combo speed oven microwave, a full 9’ height x 2’ wide x 6” deep spice cabinet that is at the end of a cabinet row, mini beverage fridge, stand alone ice maker, large one level island with a cantilever so can put stools under it. Oh and under cabinet lighting kitchen and bathroom remodeler. Crown moulding is a great Finishing touch but is hard to install. We also added a large walk in pantry where we keep our freezer

One thing different we did was have an open cabinet in the end of the island that tiled bottom of and installed a dog watering station with a pot filler inside.

View attachment 688925View attachment 688926View attachment 688927View attachment 688929View attachment 688930View attachment 688932View attachment 688934
thank you so much for your suggestion

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky