Disappointed with amount of smoke; bought a master built electric 40" added updated part sent by mas

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Full disclosure, I am not a pro-smoker. The following is opinion from my own experience.

I use an MES 30 and have few problems with smoke. The only time I have an issue is in the middle of the hottest part of the summer when outdoor temps keep the box from dropping temp enough to regularly switch the heating element on.

I would suspect you have a technical problem with the box like a bad element, bad thermostat or something like that (this is responding to the very first post; since then, this thread has taken on a life of its own).

Some things I’ve learned:

1- The MES directions tell you to damper the box or close the vent to nearly completely closed. I’ve been around the track here with people regarding “vent open/vent closed” discussion and I have determined for my personal use that there IS NO fixed answer to that question for all circumstances.

What I have learned is the vent can be your friend based on the outdoor conditions. More closed for very cold or windy conditions, more open for calm and /or hot conditions.

Restricting the vent in cold or windy weather saves on chips by keeping the smoke in the box longer for each amount of chips loaded, it also helps keep the box temp up which slows the rate of the element cycling, saving energy and chips both. The downside is with not as much airflow, your meat will be moist, yes, but any bark may be moist too, so running the box open on higher temp for a while right at the end of a smoke is a way to exit some box moisture and let the exterior of your product dry a little…if that’s what you are looking for, like with a pork butt where you want that gnarly bark.

Opening the vent more in summer heat and humidity is logical because the hot ambient air temp will make the element cycle less and there is already enough moisture in the air being drawing in to the box to keep your meat moist. Opening the vent draws more air which in the heat of summer is needed to exchange enough air for the element to cycle on enough to get enough smoke. But that cycle won’t be too much because again, the air outside is hot and if the box is in the sun, that will make the box maintain 225 for example, much easier, thus moderating the cycle.

You have to retain heat and smoke in cold and wind, and you need escape heat, in order to create smoke (with an electric element) in the heat and humidity of summer…like here in Virginia.

This knowledge has allowed me to better smoke with the MES almost all year long, save maybe January/February and Late July through August when it’s just no fun anyway ‘cause it’s cold as Siberia or African hot. Neither is fun, that’s why I smoke enough stuff to freeze.

2-Don’t soak your wood chips. That’s it, and all I need to say about that…except… I’ve stopped doing it after a couple years of research and actually reading instructions of stuff rather than ask an old fart…well OK, I’m kinda old…but I still suggest that the makers of products want you to like them, so Masterbuilt and wood chip sellers have a vested interest in giving you good info…and they’ve probably field tested that info, often in controlled studies rather than Bubba 1 and Bubba 2 who swear by back country knowledge. Use Bubba’s knowledge too, he does know a lot…but also with instructions, and tweak it all for your own exact situation. Everybody’s situation is not exactly the same.

3-I have read plenty that tell you that after a certain time, meat stops taking on smoke by a certain percentage. After a few hours of smoking the meat, in the case of rugged meats like pork and beef, the meat begins to actually resist taking on smoke deep in to the tissue, so most of the smoke after that point is surface accumulated. Some of that flavor IS transferred to the rest of the meat, especially through surface contact and mixing with fluids used to toss the pulled meat with, like mop sauce. Many smoking chefs sprinkle a bit of a sauce and toss all the meat and bark together which distributes the smoky flavor and gets some moisture and flavor redistributed through the product after pulling or chopping. I use this method. I am not a competition smoker so I don’t care what the pros or critics say is “proper”, I do what I like…like cooking ribs till they nearly fall off the bone. I have never had a consumer of ribs anywhere in my life ever say “these ribs are good, but I wish they weren’t falling off the bone” or “this pulled pork is good but I wish they hadn’t moistened it with a splash of finishing sauce”…those are comments you will likely only hear from BBQ/Smoking judges.

Back to the point…after a certain point, more smoke is gratuitous and I do believe there is a point of too much smoke on some foods. You want to taste the product, not just smoke. But, keep in mind I am talking about an MES smoker here, most professional smoking chefs laugh when you say you are smoking meat with one of these. They are often using hand crafted or pro-grade setups and in some cases actually need more smoke over time than an engineered tight box with a controlled accurate environment. The MES is a Harry Homeowner or small food shop piece of gear, so some of the age old approaches may not always apply. If you slack off on a butt smoke after 4 hours with an MES and miss a couple hours with no re-load of chips, it’s not the end of the world, and the bark will still grow just from the moisture leaving the surface whether there is smoke around it or not. You will not likely get that ¾” deep pink ring many pros get, but my food is as good or better than most I have bought and I rarely get BBQ or ribs anywhere that totally blow away what I make in my little MES.

*So, I see a lot of mention of the AMNS which I assume is the A-Maze-N pellet tray or tubes. Having no need of such a thing for hot smoking because of the long post of information I just wrote, I see these as a way to cold smoke and overnight smoke or smoke without attention to loading wood. I haven’t cold smoked yet…but someday man…someday I will get there. Having a life filled with other stuff gets in the way of doing everything I want to do.

I can see why people want to smoke overnight…and also sleep…but like not trusting a skinny chef, I expect a pit master to have those circles under the eyes from sleep deprivation! Many people are trying to have a get together and smoke the meat for it, and have it ready by noon or at least afternoon…and I can understand wanting to be awake to enjoy it. My personal experience is, I have never truly relaxed and enjoyed hosting anything. My job is everyone else’s comfort and my satisfaction is their happiness. Therefore I stopped hosting so much and putting so much on my shoulders!

Otherwise, I smoke meats while doing other stuff around the house, so loading chips every 45 minutes is not killing me. And I simply get up really early to get a smoke started, and with an MES, that is fast. I also don’t buy butts the size of my upper torso that take 20 hours to finish.

I bought a variety box of wood chips last year, and in that box was a free version of something that looks like the A-Maze-N tray. And now I have misplaced it! I’ll be cleaning the garage a bit later on, if I find it I’ll post a pic of it. I had forgotten about it until I popped in to this thread. I think that company sells pellets or dust or something too. I’ll report back if I find it.

Last edited:
Reactions: monymony
Hello all

Since I am an MES 40 owner I am going to throw my 2 cents in here. I am an amateur compared to most here even though I have cooked with a smoker on and off for about 40 years, most of them inexpensive wood/charcoal smokers. I purchased my MES last year for the purpose (mainly) of cold smoking cheese. I purchased the Masterbuilt Cold Smoke Kit to go with the unit. I have no problems whatsoever generating or keeping smoke with the cold smoking kit and even use it now for large meats just for convenience. 

I smoke my cheese at 2-3 hours and it comes out great (so my friends say), and I like it as well. To do this I only fill the cold smoker around 1/3 full. It does sometimes require leaving the ash door slight open to get a little better air flow through the smoke generator. 

The last time I cooked meat was about three weeks ago. Went to the meat market to buy butts. I am used to grocery store butts at around 6-8 lbs. The ones I bought were 10 lbs each. Needles to say this changed my plans slightly. I injected them lightly dry rubbed them and put them on around 4:30 in the afternoon. I filled the smoke generator with wood. I use the bagged wood from any of the big box stores. My favorite is the "Jack Daniels" barrel chips. With this size chips I have had no problems in the generator with the chips not falling or "clogging" up. Again I might have to open the ash door to "adjust" the air flow slightly. When smoking the four 10 lb butts I filled the generator up and let them cook. After around 4 hours went out to check them and filled the generator back up (had burned around 1/3 of chips). I did go back out to check shortly after midnight. At that point all was good and decided to let them go until I got up around 5 am. Went out to check and the results are below. 

I say all that to say this....all situations are different I know but I have been more than pleased with my MES 40 and Cold Smoke Kit. I will attempt to post a couple of photos. It had a great bark and the bone slid right out as I hoped it would. I gave one to a friend that helped me out and did some work around my house when I was sick. I was nervous about giving him one because he cooks/caters occasionally for a few clients. I was more than surprised the next time I saw him.....he made it a point to let me know, that was as good a smoked butt as he had ever had. Coming from him I considered that the ultimately compliment.  

Good luck

Tony

Reactions: monymony
Tony, I'd like to echo just about everything you say, and ask a question.

First off, I have a 30" digital MES with no glass, and bought their cold smoke generator for the same reason.  I've only smoked a couple of batches, for two hours each, but I love the way they come out and my wife does as well.  I've had the little box since last Christmas and it really works well. 

I have an issue with wood chips sticking to resins that form along the chute down to the burner.  I generally use the kind of chips you can get at BassPro, or the grocery store, (like these)  Basically, I don't get more than an hour and a half to two hours without the smoke becoming too thin.  I smoked a brisket for Memorial Day, and put it in at midnight Sunday night/Monday morning.  I got up every two hours to poke chips down and by two hours, it definitely needed to be done.  One filling pretty much lasts six hours, they just need to be pushed down and scraped off the sides. 

Does keeping the ash tray slightly open help with that?  I've noticed on several occasions that when I pop the square cap off and poke the chips down, it will flare up in an open fire.  I thought opening the tray would have the same effects.  I've thought the fire might burn the resin off, but it seems dangerous. 

Bob

Tony, I'd like to echo just about everything you say, and ask a question.

First off, I have a 30" digital MES with no glass, and bought their cold smoke generator for the same reason.  I've only smoked a couple of batches, for two hours each, but I love the way they come out and my wife does as well.  I've had the little box since last Christmas and it really works well. 

I have an issue with wood chips sticking to resins that form along the chute down to the burner.  I generally use the kind of chips you can get at BassPro, or the grocery store, (like these)  Basically, I don't get more than an hour and a half to two hours without the smoke becoming too thin.  I smoked a brisket for Memorial Day, and put it in at midnight Sunday night/Monday morning.  I got up every two hours to poke chips down and by two hours, it definitely needed to be done.  One filling pretty much lasts six hours, they just need to be pushed down and scraped off the sides. 

Does keeping the ash tray slightly open help with that?  I've noticed on several occasions that when I pop the square cap off and poke the chips down, it will flare up in an open fire.  I thought opening the tray would have the same effects.  I've thought the fire might burn the resin off, but it seems dangerous. 

Bob
Bob

I haven't had the problem with mine sticking.....yet. I was just talking with my boss who has a MES 40 also. He said that on a long smoke he will open his smoke generator and use something to "punch down" his chips. I suppose mine might eventually start sticking. As long as there are no other flammables close by I suppose you could let the resin burn off. I can't actually say whether leaving the ash tray open some helps with that or not, maybe it does. Good luck with the cheeses !!

Tony 

Bob,Tony

I wonder if spraying the chute with cooking spray would help the chips slide down better. Also I read a review on Amazon that claimed if you wait until the smoke is going good, then turn off smoke generator, the chips will continue to burn on their own. He said this helped with a nice steady smoke flow. I have not tried this yet but may have to to sooth my curiosity.

Bob,Tony

I wonder if spraying the chute with cooking spray would help the chips slide down better. Also I read a review on Amazon that claimed if you wait until the smoke is going good, then turn off smoke generator, the chips will continue to burn on their own. He said this helped with a nice steady smoke flow. I have not tried this yet but may have to to sooth my curiosity.
Those are good ideas....I have not tried either but both seem feasible to me. I am not sure if the chips would stay lit on their own or not. That would be interesting to know. Might just have to fire up my smoke generator to find out. Thanks for the ideas. 

Tony

Yeah, I ought to try those out. 

I cleaned out the chute by soaking it in vinegar for a while.  It's amazing how fast it rusted!  Literally overnight, it had a light coating of rust on every surface.  The resins protect it.  I bet the cooking spray would, too.

Yeah, I ought to try those out. 

I cleaned out the chute by soaking it in vinegar for a while.  It's amazing how fast it rusted!  Literally overnight, it had a light coating of rust on every surface.  The resins protect it.  I bet the cooking spray would, too.

Bob

I am looking into a round or square wire brush to push through chute to clean after each use. Hopefully it will work.

Steve

Those are good ideas....I have not tried either but both seem feasible to me. I am not sure if the chips would stay lit on their own or not. That would be interesting to know. Might just have to fire up my smoke generator to find out. Thanks for the ideas. 

Tony

Tony

Let me know how you make out[emoji]128512[/emoji]

Steve

Here's my first try with the MES cold smoke attachment. Mostly pretty happy with it. I cut up peach branches on the bandsaw into little chunks. I think the art of this device is loading the tower so its loose and drops easily rather than jamming.

What luck that they left the neck on, it was great! I forgot I had a pack of 3 turkey necks in the freezer, next smoke. It was pretty crisp out of the smoker but I put it in a 450 oven for a little bit anyway. The smoke penetration could have been better, but the gravy made from the drippings was smoky and awesome.

Looks fantastic.  Last time I did a turkey (Easter?), I finished it in the oven for a little while, too. 

I made a little funnel out of a soda can so that I can pour chips out of the bag into the chute.  Those will form a logjam, too, and I'm just pouring them loose, not trying to tamp them down.

Looks fantastic.  Last time I did a turkey (Easter?), I finished it in the oven for a little while, too. 

I made a little funnel out of a soda can so that I can pour chips out of the bag into the chute.  Those will form a logjam, too, and I'm just pouring them loose, not trying to tamp them down.
Scoop with a funnel pic. We used these to mix potting soil thats bigger than a garden trowel. The hole for the funnel is pefect for pellets but will need to be bigger for chips.
-Kurt

Lookin good!

Here's my first try with the MES cold smoke attachment. Mostly pretty happy with it. I cut up peach branches on the bandsaw into little chunks. I think the art of this device is loading the tower so its loose and drops easily rather than jamming.

What luck that they left the neck on, it was great! I forgot I had a pack of 3 turkey necks in the freezer, next smoke. It was pretty crisp out of the smoker but I put it in a 450 oven for a little bit anyway. The smoke penetration could have been better, but the gravy made from the drippings was smoky and awesome.

What I tried was to load it by taking it out, turning it upside down holding the cap on, and filling it. Then put the screen on, and gently turn it over and place it in, so the chips are now very loosely piled. Seemed to mostly work, more data needed. But TONS better than that little damn tray!!

Smoked a bunch of chicken legs and thighs with 4 turkey necks. 4 hrs and the MES cold smoke generator was perfect with no intervention needed. At first it's very smoky then settles down to a steady low burn.

The necks were awesome. I want to open a shop that sells nothing but fried and smoked turkey necks and butts. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky