Curious about offset mods

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

sc smoke

Fire Starter
Original poster
May 27, 2013
South Carolina
I've read quite a few posts about mods made on offset smokers. Is that the norm or do most folks go without mods?
I'm in the process of putting together my OK Joe Highland and before I invest in various materials for mods I wonder if they are necessary.
If some are and some aren't I'd appreciate your input.

Hello SC.  This is a touchy one.  This is based on experience.  How long have you used an offset?  My first response is YES! do the mods..You asking the question tells me your experience is somewhat limited.  Offsets can  ( not always ) be a "BEAR" to control temp even with mods..  Life is too short; do the mods. ( ALL the mds ).  You won't know why but you will be glad you did.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Here are a few things I did:

Extended the exhaust vent down to the grate:

Sealed the seams and doors and added latches:

I also wanted to put a shallow basket in the FB, but I found this at Home Depot:

They were 12 bucks each..the one on the right has been used once. I figured I would stack 2 together, screwed together with carriage bolts to use as legs:

I have run this three times, and I like to keep the door open and keep a small, hot fire. The pan set-up keeps the wood and coals from falling out of the door.

I have a stoker, so I am going to use that to monitor pit temp and meat temp, but without the blower (obviously).

The best mod, without question, is not pictured. It was an old blanket that I wrapped around cooking chamber! It really helped moderate things. I would like to look into a more attractive way to do it.

One other thing. I made a baffle to deflect the heat coming out of the FB, but I removed it because it created a real hot spot at the end of the baffle. I have a few half bricks in there now that I will try for the next cook. I also have a water pan in there, which you can see a little of in the upper right of the second pic.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Try to make or buy a convection plate (horizon style). This will force the heat away from the baffle and allow it to even out over the whole CC. The only other thing that I would suggest is to drill a hole in the left hand end and insert a conduit cable connector that you can get in the electrical dept. at Lowe's. This will give you a way to run your therm probes into the CC without worrying about crimping them. It has a rubber grommet that will seal it up when cooking.

A raised Charcoal pan, seal up all the doors, lower the stack and a baffle to moderate the high heat. Are the most effective. A set of tuning plates is nice but was difficult for me to get...JJ

You folks hit all of the mods I was wondering about for my OK Joe Highland.
I already have the elbow, ordered the seal and gasket, raised the FB grate. (I like the FB gizmo KeithA has).
Leaving me with latches, convection plate and conduit. (I see now I should have ordered the latch, sealer and gasket kit. Good old 20/20 hindsight).
A double probe Maverick thermometer is on my Father's Day list (I have a single probe Maverick) and I'll add the convection plate. I'll spring for the latches.
Thanks for your input. I'll be sure to send pics and first cook results.

You folks hit all of the mods I was wondering about for my OK Joe Highland.
I already have the elbow, ordered the seal and gasket, raised the FB grate. (I like the FB gizmo KeithA has).
Leaving me with latches, convection plate and conduit. (I see now I should have ordered the latch, sealer and gasket kit. Good old 20/20 hindsight).
A double probe Maverick thermometer is on my Father's Day list (I have a single probe Maverick) and I'll add the convection plate. I'll spring for the latches.
Thanks for your input. I'll be sure to send pics and first cook results.

Since I'm waiting for the sealant to arrive and am currently putting the smoker together, should I join the two halves of the fire box and attach it to the cooking chamber now or wait until the sealant arrives and put a bead of sealer between the two halves and the FB and cooking compartment?
I know I can put a bead of sealer after its assembled but I wonder if there is an advantage of waiting until the sealant arrives.
Sorry for all the questions, I'm a firm believer of 'measuring twice, cutting once'.

From most of what I read, folks will put the sealer on and then put it together. I would think that this will give a better seal, since there will be pressure on the joint. I have also heard of folks who will weld the joints when they re-do their smokers in a few years.

Reactions: grillard
I have the same cooker ( Okla. Joe. Highlander) and am doing a packer brisket and pork butt in it as I type this. I got mine last fall and have been using it quite a bit.

When I got mine I put the sealed strips on the doors  and used high temp silicon on the fire box halfs and where it connects to the cooking chamber .  Built a basket and just used a piece of 3/16 steal plate as a down angled heat diverter on the opening between the fire box and chamber. I also added an additional adjustable air vent on the side of fire box above the side door.

I tried the 90 degree dryer elbow on the exhaust at first. But took it off as it seamed to restrict the air flow and created  too much heat build up in the top of the cooking chamber. I don't see the need for door latches, it's smoker not a pressure cooker and some leaking smoke doesn't hurt anything.

The one thing I think will help this cooker is a larger and lowered exhaust pipe to increase the air flow which I believe will also help equalize temps .  My plan is to install a 4 inch exhaust pipe and lower it to grate level when I get some time.  Good luck and have fun with your new cooker!

Since I'm waiting for the sealant to arrive and am currently putting the smoker together, should I join the two halves of the fire box and attach it to the cooking chamber now or wait until the sealant arrives and put a bead of sealer between the two halves and the FB and cooking compartment?
I know I can put a bead of sealer after its assembled but I wonder if there is an advantage of waiting until the sealant arrives.
Sorry for all the questions, I'm a firm believer of 'measuring twice, cutting once'.
Wait for the sealant and use it during assembly (or go to any auto parts store for Permatex Red).
Just be careful and have an extra pair of hands connecting the firebox to the main chamber. You can always add a bead around the box after.
All it takes for a baffle is a couple of steel plates leaned against the right wall and wedged into the bottom grate.
Some sort of a charcoal basket is a must.
I've seen these latches in a lot of posts and it seems like overkill. Wait and see if the door really leaks that much before drilling a bunch of holes in your smoker.
All that being said, I don't have an Oklahoma Joe, but I've heard that CharGriller bought them and the CG model 8125 I and KeithA have look a lot like one.
Have fun with it!
Dan

I put in a similar baffle, and it created a real hot spot on the rack just above the end of the baffle. I suspect it's necessary to complete the job and make a full tuning set-up across the bottom of the smoker. I took mine out and did this:

It's a few half bricks and a pan of water. The idea being that the heat is absorbed and bounced around on it's way into the smoker. I have not tried this with ribs or brisket, though.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky