Curing pastrami I need a little Help please

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Worble7

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 18, 2023
So I did 1/2 a brisket about 6.5 lbs trimmed. Just woild like to know if my ingratiates are correct.
Meat Churchs Pastrami recipe.
Here's what I add to 1 gallon of water:
2 TBS #1 Prague curing salt
2 TBS Garlic
1 Cup of salt
1 1/2 Cups brown sugar
2 Cups pickling spice

I have been reading up on this and I'm not getting it I dont know why Ugh
TIA for all the help. Jeff

Reactions: JLeonard
Looks like you are correct from what I see on his website. If you don't have room for all the liquid in refrigerator, you can also use a dry brine. Many pastrami recipes on here.

Reactions: Worble7
Your fine,,, look at my pastrami in my signature line below. Only thing about pastrami is it takes a little time to produce. I'm sure yours will be great !
it was put on the smoker 15 mins ago. Thanks for the help

Looks like you are correct from what I see on his website. If you don't have room for all the liquid in refrigerator, you can also use a dry brine. Many pastrami recipes on here.
Yes the only thing is he used a 14 lb brisket Mine is only 6.5 lbs. Thanks for the help

Your fine,,, look at my pastrami in my signature line below. Only thing about pastrami is it takes a little time to produce. I'm sure yours will be great !

Is the dry brine the same of different amounts? Thanks

So I did 1/2 a brisket about 6.5 lbs trimmed. Just woild like to know if my ingratiates are correct.
Meat Churchs Pastrami recipe.
Here's what I add to 1 gallon of water:
2 TBS #1 Prague curing salt
2 TBS Garlic
1 Cup of salt
1 1/2 Cups brown sugar
2 Cups pickling spice

I have been reading up on this and I'm not getting it I dont know why Ugh
TIA for all the help. Jeff
Glad To help.
The recipe you posted will work. Brine recipes are all over the board in terms of ingredients and the amounts. The trouble I have with most brines is that The amount of various ingredients are not relative to the meat poundage you put in the brine. Dont get me wrong, the brines work just fine and some people prefer them, most everyone that uses them have very satisfactory results. However I fine using a dry rub or dry brine gives much better control of the process, give very repeatable results and takes up way less fridge space. I would be happy to answer any curing questions you may have.

Btw, how long do you plan to keep the brisket in the brine?

Glad To help.
The recipe you posted will work. Brine recipes are all over the board in terms of ingredients and the amounts. The trouble I have with most brines is that The amount of various ingredients are not relative to the meat poundage you put in the brine. Dont get me wrong, the brines work just fine and some people prefer them, most everyone that uses them have very satisfactory results. However I fine using a dry rub or dry brine gives much better control of the process, give very repeatable results and takes up way less fridge space. I would be happy to answer any curing questions you may have.

Btw, how long do you plan to keep the brisket in the brine?
SmokinEdge,
Thanks for chiming in :)....It was in the brine for 9 1/2 days I took alot of the fat off grrr live and learn. but my main concern was of it being way to salty as the meat was 6.5 lbs and he did 14 lbs on the post. so what I did was soak it in water to pull salt out. 4 times at 1 hour each time. as we speak its in the smoker at 250 degs to 175 IT then wraping in butchers paper and bumping up to 275 for an IT of 205. Thanks for the help everyone I'm starting to love this place and I have only been here 1 hour very helpful site :)

Last edited:
SmokinEdge,
Thanks for chiming in :)....It was in the brine for 9 1/2 days I took alot of the fat off grrr live and learn. but my main concern was of it being way to salty as the meat was 6.5 lbs and he did 14 lbs on the post. so what I did was soak it in water to pull salt out. 4 times at 1 hour each time. as we speak its in the smoker at 250 degs to 175 IT then wraping in butchers paper and bumping up to 275 for an IT of 205. Thanks for the help everyone I'm starting to love this place and I have only been here 1 hour very helpful site :)
Yes the big problem with brines in general is that everything about them is random. From ingredients to meat uptake, it’s all random, however curing meat is really a straightforward process that works, so I’m sure you will be fine and your pastrami will be delicious. If you would like to understand the process a little better and up your game, hit me up. I will be happy not only to tell you how but happy to explain it to you, the how and why of the different methods.

SmokinEdge,

If your worried about the salinity of the pastrami then you can do a fry test before smoking. Let your taste buds tell you if it's too salty.

Chris

Yes the big problem with brines in general is that everything about them is random. From ingredients to meat uptake, it’s all random, however curing meat is really a straightforward process that works, so I’m sure you will be fine and your pastrami will be delicious. If you would like to understand the process a little better and up your game, hit me up. I will be happy not only to tell you how but happy to explain it to you, the how and why of the different methods.
Thanks Just looking through post and see you post alot with helpful info will be hitting you up real soon as I want to do Canadian bacon. I will try nd do the math first myself then yu can sheck me and see if its right please :) Thanks again Jeff

If your worried about the salinity of the pastrami then you can do a fry test before smoking. Let your taste buds tell you if it's too salty.

Chris
already started smoking :(

Thanks Just looking through post and see you post alot with helpful info will be hitting you up real soon as I want to do Canadian bacon. I will try nd do the math first myself then yu can sheck me and see if its right please :) Thanks again Jeff
Yup, anytime.

If you would like to understand the process a little better and up your game, hit me up. I will be happy not only to tell you how but happy to explain it to you, the how and why of the different methods.
Definitely hit him up, he knows a thing or 2 about curing and is always willing to share. I also recommend getting yourself a copy of Home Production of Quality Meats and Sausages by Stanley and Adam Marianski. If you need to know it, it's in the book!

well it was a failure :( way to salty for me and took forever to cook. started the smoker at 250 and cooked until 175 IT 9 hours this is way to long. wraped in butchers paper and back on at 275 cooked to 205 IT for about 1 1/2 hours. let rest for 2 hours. this morning cut in to the crnter looked way dry and tasted way to salty. Back to the drawing board. Next I will attempt to make Canadian bacon. I will be hitting you guys up for the best way and will be doing some readng up also. Thanks again Jeff

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky