Cured, Pulled 1/2 Pork Butt

Discussion in 'Pork' started by gary s, Jul 31, 2015.

1. I had a half of a pork butt in the freezer so about 10 days ago I thawed it and put it in a zip loc with the

appropriate amount of TQ and Brown Sugar. I was going to smoke it Wednesday but timing just didn't

work. So today was the day.

Pulled it out of the fridge at 6:30 this morning, rinsed and let it soak in clean water, while I was getting the smoker

ready.

Patted it dry, seasoned with SPOG and a little Honey Powder, then on the Smoker at 7:30 AM

Smoker at 225º  and using Pecan

Smoked at a steady 225 º for 5 hours, IT was 160 º.

Moved to a foil pan, dumped a can of pineapple rings and the juice in, covered it an back on the smoker.

Cooked about 3 more hours, IT was 202 º. Pulled it and in the oven set on warm till supper.

I didn't post the whole curing process   Look at Bear's Step by Step   http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/138526/buckboard-bacon-and-pulled-cured-boston-butt-ham

~

Thanks for looking, it was good !!!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2015
  2. c farmer

c farmer Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Beautiful as always Gary.

3. b-one

b-one Smoking Guru OTBS Member

That has grilled ham and cheese all over it! Great job!

4. Thank both of you, I appreciate it.

Gary

5. GaryHibbert

GaryHibbert Smoking Guru OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Hey Gary

That looks like a great smoke.  The pineapple rings and juice in the foil is a fantastic idea--I'm going to try that on my next butt.

Very nice job.

Gary

6. Where did I put those pineapple rings hmmmmm. 😀👍🍍

7. Thanks Gary,  The curing, smoking and pineapple really takes it to a whole new level   Flavor is great,

This is one of Bears  Step by Steps I do quite a bit

Gary

8. waterinholebrew

waterinholebrew Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Wow Gary, what a nice smoke ! That sure looks real tasty ! :kewl:

:points1:

9. i6quer

i6quer Fire Starter SMF Premier Member

I'm with you, this is one of Bear's that I do every couple of months because it's so easy. It's great on pizza, and my oldest likes it on sandwiches for school. Yours looks awesome!

10. bearcarver

bearcarver Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks Dang Tasty, Gary!!![​IMG]-------------[​IMG]

I love that stuff !![​IMG][​IMG]

MMMMMmmmmmm............[​IMG]

Bear

11. hank2000

hank2000 Smoking Fanatic

Did on a couple of weeks ago but I used mustard and black pepper smoke and pineapple and the juice as well. Took it to IT of 205. Took on vacation to make sandwiches with Had to go buy sandwich meat two days after we got there. Lol. Everyone loved it. Thanks bear ur step by steps have been great.

12. bdskelly

bdskelly Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Pineapple and pork butt sing together!  Well done Gary! b

13. Thanks guy's and for the point Bear

Gary

14. inkjunkie

inkjunkie Master of the Pit

Looks very moist...

15. oldschoolbbq

oldschoolbbq Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I need to go pickup cans or something to get enough to purchace something to smoke . That looks marvelous ,Gary.:drool. The camera shots are great . Looks as you could smell it through the sxcreen .

Thanks for the look , my friend . Home run.

Later . . .

16. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member

Great Job! Smoked Butt is a fav...I grew up eating Cured Smoked Butt or Shoulder. Always the same way...The way Dad liked it! We would ask Mom, " What's for Supper? " She would say, " Pork Goody! "  Pretty classic fare for a Polish family...Mom brought a large pot of water with whole small Onions, Potatoes, Carrots, chunks of Celery, quartered Cabbage, Garlic Cloves and a Bay leaf of two, to a simmer. Fifteen minutes later, she added the Smoked Butt and when the meat was hot and the veggies tender, about 30 minutes more, it was Supper time. Add S & P and a Heart Stopping amount of Butter and it didn't get much better than that...JJ

17. Thanks Guys.  It really has a unique flavor. 

Gary 

18. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Great Looking Smoke Gary!

19. aceoky

aceoky Smoking Fanatic

MMMMMMMMM AWESOME! Great job as usual!

[​IMG]

20. Thank You

Gary