Cured, Pulled 1/2 Pork Butt

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gary s

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jan 6, 2011
I had a half of a pork butt in the freezer so about 10 days ago I thawed it and put it in a zip loc with the

appropriate amount of TQ and Brown Sugar. I was going to smoke it Wednesday but timing just didn't

work. So today was the day.

Pulled it out of the fridge at 6:30 this morning, rinsed and let it soak in clean water, while I was getting the smoker

ready.

Patted it dry, seasoned with SPOG and a little Honey Powder, then on the Smoker at 7:30 AM

Smoker at 225º  and using Pecan

Smoked at a steady 225 º for 5 hours, IT was 160 º.

Moved to a foil pan, dumped a can of pineapple rings and the juice in, covered it an back on the smoker.

Cooked about 3 more hours, IT was 202 º. Pulled it and in the oven set on warm till supper.

I didn't post the whole curing process   Look at Bear's Step by Step   http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/138526/buckboard-bacon-and-pulled-cured-boston-butt-ham

~
Thanks for looking, it was good !!!

Last edited:
Thank both of you, I appreciate it.

Gary

Where did I put those pineapple rings hmmmmm. [emoji]128512[/emoji][emoji]128077[/emoji][emoji]127821[/emoji]

Hey Gary

That looks like a great smoke.  The pineapple rings and juice in the foil is a fantastic idea--I'm going to try that on my next butt.

Very nice job.

Gary
Thanks Gary,  The curing, smoking and pineapple really takes it to a whole new level   Flavor is great,

This is one of Bears  Step by Steps I do quite a bit

Gary

I'm with you, this is one of Bear's that I do every couple of months because it's so easy. It's great on pizza, and my oldest likes it on sandwiches for school. Yours looks awesome!

Looks Dang Tasty, Gary!!!
drool.gif
-------------
points.gif

I love that stuff !!
drool.gif
drool.gif

MMMMMmmmmmm............
drool.gif

Bear

Did on a couple of weeks ago but I used mustard and black pepper smoke and pineapple and the juice as well. Took it to IT of 205. Took on vacation to make sandwiches with Had to go buy sandwich meat two days after we got there. Lol. Everyone loved it. Thanks bear ur step by steps have been great.

Thanks guy's and for the point Bear

Gary

I need to go pickup cans or something to get enough to purchace something to smoke . That looks marvelous ,Gary.:drool. The camera shots are great . Looks as you could smell it through the sxcreen .

Thanks for the look , my friend . Home run.

Later . . .

Great Job! Smoked Butt is a fav...I grew up eating Cured Smoked Butt or Shoulder. Always the same way...The way Dad liked it! We would ask Mom, " What's for Supper? " She would say, " Pork Goody! "  Pretty classic fare for a Polish family...Mom brought a large pot of water with whole small Onions, Potatoes, Carrots, chunks of Celery, quartered Cabbage, Garlic Cloves and a Bay leaf of two, to a simmer. Fifteen minutes later, she added the Smoked Butt and when the meat was hot and the veggies tender, about 30 minutes more, it was Supper time. Add S & P and a Heart Stopping amount of Butter and it didn't get much better than that...JJ

Thanks Guys.  It really has a unique flavor. 

Gary 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky