Crispy Catfish and Straw Fries

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BrianGSDTexoma

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Aug 1, 2018
North Texas, Texoma
I like my catfish crispy and spent years looking for a great recipe. I started watching Kent Rollins and seen his crispy catfish recipe a few years ago. Finally found what I was looking for. Its all in the dip. 1 Tbsp buttermilk powder, 1 Tbsp corn starch and 1 tsp baking powder. Mix in 1 cup water. I just pour it in the bowl with the catfish. I have even started using it on other breaded things. Works really good. Also gave Chris_in_SoCal Chris_in_SoCal straw fries a try. Big thanks for that. They where great! That food processor Jeff talked me into processed a potato in like a half second! That little bowl is my Grandmothers and makes me think of her every time I use it.

IMG_20240429_145809373.jpg IMG_20240429_145814559.jpg

IMG_20240429_145806145.jpg

Do you have a deep fryer or pan fry on the stove? Trying to talk myself out of buying one!

Jim
Those Presto Fryers work great. I have a oil pan with filter I dump oil in when done. My old GranPappy Electric Deep Fryer still works great and recently bought the Presto 06006 Kitchen Kettle Multi-Cooker/Steamer and very happy with it. They do get hot on outside though.

Reactions: DieselTech
Thats a grand meal right there!! I love fried catfish for breakfast. Saturday I took a there and back trip to Maryland but stopped for breakfast on the way and whoops.... a huge piece of you know what! Keep it coming!

Those Presto Fryers work great. I have a oil pan with filter I dump oil in when done. My old GranPappy Electric Deep Fryer still works great and recently bought the Presto 06006 Kitchen Kettle Multi-Cooker/Steamer and very happy with it. They do get hot on outside though.
Dang you! Put a feather in your "enabler cap"....$43 on amazon...Should be delivered Weds!

Jim

I was just looking back at my earlier post when making the fries and made a comment I should correct now that I took another look. I said that your shredding disk looked upside down. I took a closer look and I now see that it is two sided with rough and fine options.

I am sure you have figured it out by now but if not there it is. The one I have is two sided but one is for slicing and the other for shredding, that is what probably thru me off.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky