Country Cured Ham - From Go to Show: Q/View

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
The fenugreek is presumably added for its maple-like flavor.

~Martin
Correct. When processed, fenugreek has a maple/caramel like flavor and is the primary ingredient in imitation maple syrup. You can make a passable version at home by combining 1/4 cup each fenugreek and honey with 1 cup of water.

A few years ago I was strolling on a street in the upper West of Manhattan when I noticed the smell of syrup. I later found out that there's a plant in NJ on the West side of the Hudson river that processes fenugreek for the syrup industry. On nights when they're processing, and when the winds are blowing East, that part of Manhattan smells like a giant pancake festival.

I use it a lot for Indian/Pakastani, Middle Eastern, and Ethiopian dishes.

can't believe i've been alive as long as I have been and never knew of this herb's existence.  Thanks SMF for Skooling me!
It's a very common staple in many ethnic dishes. It's not common in most American foods, but if you've eaten Aunt Jemima or one of its competitors, you've eaten fenugreek.

Last edited:
This cure is a blend of salt and sodium nitrite and sodium nitrate.

28.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
05.jpg
04.jpg
29.jpg

Last edited:
Mr T.  How are your other 2 hams coming along?

I pulled mine from the smoker last night around 6pm.  Total smoke time is just about 130 hours.  I stopped  because I feel the color is pretty good now, and it is going to rain/snow for the next few days and I didn't want it sitting in the smoker getting moist again.

Had no where good to hang it, so found a stud in kitchen ceiling and screwed a long hook in there and just hung it up!  I can fix the ceiling easy, hanging ham where it's warm is most important now.

Pics (sorry for the low quality):

The other two hams received the third and last cure application last week.  They will cure until the 26th of April (70 days) then equalize until the middle of May.

Your ham is looking good. 

Update to original thread with additional info and pics.

Aging:

The aging process begins after the curing and equalization processes.  After four months of aging, this ham will officially become a "Country Ham".  While aging develops and concentrates a ham’s rich flavor, it also reduces the ham’s moisture and accentuates its saltiness. Fat inside the ham helps counteract these effects, and is therefore a key part of aging. A ham with generous amounts of fat can be aged longer for more intense flavor, without drying out.

Hanging hock up, causes the ham to assume a narrow bullet shape.  This helps hams dry out evenly, which the Europeans like. Most Americans hang their hams hock down, because it pulls the ham into a squatter “ham” shape and leads to moister ham, which suits the American palate.

Last edited:
Mr T.....L O V E your kitchen!!!!!  The Ham looks divine!!!  Can't wait to see the sliced pics too!  Your cast iron collection is amazing!

Kat

Thanks everyone, been hanging there for two weeks and my wife hasn't seen it yet.
icon_smile.gif
  You can guess who does most of the cooking.

HAHA how the hell can she not smell it yet??
Actually, you have to be within a couple feet or less to pick up the scent.  Also with five smokers on the front deck, two of them on either side of the front door, smoke aroma is nothing unusual in our home.  

mmmmmmmmmmmmm I can smell it from here.  Too bad you can't scratch n sniff this thread so we can all smell.. :)

I put mine in the basement with a fan on it on low for 2 days now, going to bring it back up in the kitchen tomorrow and we'll see how the aroma is. I may leave it there tonight so I can smell it in the morning to see how it is...  fan seems to dissipate the gorgeous smokyness a little so it is no so strong if it's right in your face (which it pretty much will be in my kitchen)..

Got the ham back in the Kitchen on Saturday.  Wife didn't say anything till mid-day Sunday, I was thinking she didn't notice it even though it was sort of hanging in her face!  Then I got the "This thing smells, get it out of here" comment.  But that seems to have subsided a bit as the smell is getting better (I think it's gorgeous personally!).  Ham still hanging!  Happy I have it in a good warm temp now so the enzymes can get to work.

Tried some smoked shrimp yesterday and some smoked kosher salt with some fresh garlic cloves resting on top.  Separated garlic from salt when I was done, now have two delicious bags to try out!  Shrimp was pretty good, I cold smoked it raw with a little marinade for a few hours then hit it on the grill for about 15 minutes, delicious!

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky