Couldn't Wait

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ga.roadhog

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 6, 2007
I have been checking out all the different recipes and opinions for a few weeks waiting on my new pit, but I couldn't wait any longer.

I figure she got tired of hearing me whine so my wife brought home a temp solution for me. She brought me a New Braunsfels smoker home tonight. She found it at a yard sale for $20.....

So tonight I put on two butts (avg 6Lbs) about 1 AM. Having a tough time keeping the temp right so we'll see what happens. This is my first experience smoking have always grilled before so....

Meat has been on for 2 hours and is at 115 degrees. I feel like it is going a little to fast. I am trying to follow some of the instructions I have seen here, but for a newbie, one thing I missed was how to set the initial temp. I got to 300 degrees way quick. Guess to much lump...

I have been heavy spritzing with AJ and cider vinegar mix about every 45 minutes. Using apple to smoke and it is going well. Have light to moderate steady smoke. Since this is my first, not yet sure if I have too much but we'll see.

Sorry I don't have Qview this time (at the start) but I'll post final results (including Qview) along with opinions.... good or bad later.

I am also doing some ABT's and Dutch's Wicked Beans.

Dutch your beans are good before they get smoked, so I know at least one thing on the menu will be great.
icon_mrgreen.gif

Hey, Roadhog!

Sounds like you are on your way. Working with any new piece of equipment is like driving a new truck. They're all different and till you get setled in with it there will be some trial and error!

The biggie is...you're DOING it!

We will keep an eye and watch for your results!

Good Luck!
and
Cheers!

Remember that the Butts will probably slow down and even stall for a while. The last one I did sat at 161 for over 2 hours. Hope this helps.

Take care, have fun, and do good!

Regards,

Meowey

Go Roadhog go! Go Roadhog go!

Sometimes they go real fast until they get to the plateau. Then you might have to have 2-3 hours before ANYTHING happens.

That's what the ABT's and Fatty are for ..
PDT_Armataz_01_24.gif

You're on your way. Just remember to relax, sit back, learn a little. The wait will be worth it. Your wife will be very proud of her savvy investment.

You go Roadhog! New Braunsfels are nice smokers and $20 wow! There's a website somewhere just for the New Braunsfels smokees somewhere. They may have some ideas for you too.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky