Corning A Butt for Porkstrami?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

thirdeye

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Dec 1, 2019
The Cowboy State - Wyoming
I have pastramied turkey breasts, and lately have seen some fantastic looking pastrami from corned beef short ribs. Along similar lines I've seen a couple of recipes for corning a pork butt. So I'm thinking of using thick slices of butt, or country (shoulder) ribs, corning them, and seasoning/smoking like pastrami.... then using a pressure finish to nail the tenderness. But won't the final product be a spicy/peppery but very tender ham?

I have pastramied turkey breasts, and lately have seen some fantastic looking pastrami from corned beef short ribs. Along similar lines I've seen a couple of recipes for corning a pork butt. So I'm thinking of using thick slices of butt, or country (shoulder) ribs, corning them, and seasoning/smoking like pastrami.... then using a pressure finish to nail the tenderness. But won't the final product be a spicy/peppery but very tender ham?
Who cares? It sounds like it would be tasty!

Reactions: JLeonard
Who cares? It sounds like it would be tasty!

Well you know what I'm getting at.... there might be a bigger flavor spread between beef >>> corned beef >>> pastrami, than there is between pork >>> ham >>> porkstrami. In another thread, myself, daveomak daveomak and a couple others kicked around a corned beef injection and Dave thought beer might bring an interesting flavor to the party, so something like that is not out of the question for the pork.

I love cured cured butts. Best ham ever. Corning it would take to the next level I think!
But essentially curing is corning, other than the fact I add more aromatics like pickling spice, black pepper, more mustard seeds, onion powder. Are you thinking the 'next level' would be in the flavor?

I think the Pastrami spices are what adds the the flavor, whether it's Beef, Turkey (which I read once was what Pastrami was originally made from) or whatever. You would have the specific flavor of the meat behind it all.
The Pork would have a bit more fat but so do Short Ribs.
Give it a shot. I'd be curious to see what happens....

From what I understand - pastrami is defined by first corning then smoking with black pepper and coriander based rub.

Since you already have experience with the turkey breasts and short ribs, why not take it to the next level. A pickling spice would give it an earthy flavor for sure.. and ironically (and sadly) this idea was one of the last conversations I had with Pops .. My thought was to do the whole pork shoulder .. it's on my list but I haven't gotten it done yet.. be looking forward to your results

I think the Pastrami spices are what adds the the flavor, whether it's Beef, Turkey (which I read once was what Pastrami was originally made from) or whatever. You would have the specific flavor of the meat behind it all.
The Pork would have a bit more fat but so do Short Ribs.
Give it a shot. I'd be curious to see what happens....
From what I understand - pastrami is defined by first corning then smoking with black pepper and coriander based rub.

Since you already have experience with the turkey breasts and short ribs, why not take it to the next level. A pickling spice would give it an earthy flavor for sure.. and ironically (and sadly) this idea was one of the last conversations I had with Pops .. My thought was to do the whole pork shoulder .. it's on my list but I haven't gotten it done yet.. be looking forward to your results

Here is the article I wrote for TURKEY PASTRAMI and it's noteworthy that the Tender Quick was mainly used to keep the meat pink as the breasts are hot smoked. Turkey is mild so if went this route I would need to increase the seasonings for pork.

Reactions: kilo charlie
Here is the article I wrote for TURKEY PASTRAMI and it's noteworthy that the Tender Quick was mainly used to keep the meat pink as the breasts are hot smoked. Turkey is mild so if went this route I would need to increase the seasonings for pork.

Thank you for the ideas. I'm a fan of using Pops Curing Brine and have used it many times to cure whole pork shoulders and smoking them to make pulled ham. Adding the pickling spices etc to the brine is an easy addition and the pastrami rub prior to smoking would be easy as well.. all since I have experience with whole shoulders. the OP's though of cutting it down into slices prior to any of those processes is interesting to me and something I had not considered.

His thought on finishing them in the pressure cooker doesn't quite jive with smoking a pastrami but in this world.. rules are meant to be stretched and broken.

But essentially curing is corning, other than the fact I add more aromatics like pickling spice, black pepper, more mustard seeds, onion powder. Are you thinking the 'next level' would be in the flavor?
Not sure but think it ould be good. One way to find out. All this has me thinking about sauerbraten. Been to long. Going on the menu!

Thank you for the ideas. I'm a fan of using Pops Curing Brine and have used it many times to cure whole pork shoulders and smoking them to make pulled ham. Adding the pickling spices etc to the brine is an easy addition and the pastrami rub prior to smoking would be easy as well.. all since I have experience with whole shoulders. the OP's though of cutting it down into slices prior to any of those processes is interesting to me and something I had not considered.

His thought on finishing them in the pressure cooker doesn't quite jive with smoking a pastrami but in this world.. rules are meant to be stretched and broken.
My initial thoughts were to use a variation of Pop's Brine, and also injecting some of it.

He who masters the finish.... masters the pastrami. There are several finishing methods for pastrami, I'm not against steaming like many deli's use, it just takes quite a while. A pressure finish is much shorter and the broth is a much higher quality and flavor. Also the tenderness is easier to control. These are all examples of pressure finished pastrami.
ypppSOm.jpg
Q261ztk.jpg
F3eiIU2.jpg
wPC6QML.jpg

Wouldn't the pastrami be smoked then reheated in the steamer? Or you're saying they are cooking it the whole time in a steamer? That would be insane I feel like... and I've done just small pastrami projects.

Wouldn't the pastrami be smoked then reheated in the steamer? Or you're saying they are cooking it the whole time in a steamer? That would be insane I feel like... and I've done just small pastrami projects.
No, which ever finishing method is used (braise/wrap, steam, pressure), the finish step for pastrami comes after smoking the brisket or navel to 160° -170° or so and you have some good colored bark. For reheating steaming works fine or it can be reheated in the broth.

No, which ever finishing method is used (braise/wrap, steam, pressure), the finish step for pastrami comes after smoking the brisket or navel to 160° -170° or so and you have some good colored bark. For reheating steaming works fine or it can be reheated in the broth.
Thank you for clarifying.. because I've lived for years "knowing" that pastrami had to be smoked... haha I guess I have to read things closer and understand y'all are talking about finishing it AFTER it's been smoked LOL

Thank you for clarifying.. because I've lived for years "knowing" that pastrami had to be smoked... haha I guess I have to read things closer and understand y'all are talking about finishing it AFTER it's been smoked LOL
Some will opt to smoke it until tender, and slice really thin. But cured meat acts differently than. Non cured meat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky