Corned Beef Brisket

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

mpeachhead

Fire Starter
Original poster
Mar 3, 2008
I think I'm going to do one this weeked. From reading on this board, it sounds like it's best to soak it for a while. Otherwise it will be too salty? Is that correct? Also, I guess I just need to throw away the seasoning pack that comes with it. Any other suggestions? Should I put a rub on it? Smoke for 4-5 hours, then foil?

Buy a regular brisket, some Tender Quick, and pickling spice. Search for the method on this site and make your own corned beef to start with. It's easy and well worth your time. Better tasting, cheaper and rewarding. I'd highly recommend you go that route rather than buying a pre processed corned beef. You'll impress your friend too.
Jimbo

Agree, but it takes up to several weeks to brine and marinate. So, if you plan on this weekend, get a corned beef and soak it starting now, changing the water at least 2x a day. And yes, throw away the spice pack.

BTW, by smoking a corned beef, you will end up with pastrami. Plan on 1-1.5 hr/lb and take it to 165*.

i have tried smoking store bought c-beef points...

i luv my smoker--
i luv smoked foods--

in my opinion--
store bought tastes better in crock pot...
then use juice to boil cabbage...
icon_cool.gif
PDT_Armataz_01_42.gif
:PDT_Armat az_01_01:

Only take it to 165? Really? I was thinking 180 or better, or will it get tough?

Sounds great. You cooked yours until 195 I see from the thread you posted. Is that what you recommend? Foil at 165, then cook until 195 and it falls apart?

I did not foil and it does not fall a part but is tender. cut across grain as thin as you can and eat. it sure is good. i did find juniper berries and it did change my flavor a little but in my opinion it was not better just different.

If you just want a great cut of meat, get 1st cut brisket which is what they use to make corned beef-but without all the brining and such. It's usually 1.75-2.5 pounds and is a quick smoke (3-5 hours).

Michael

Yeah better soak for a few hours and take alittle slice off and either micro or fry it for a sample for salt content. The first one I did I did not soak and was way to salty. I corned a flat last march I used a dry cure method for 9 days. Next time I am going to use an eye of round, after all it is corned beef and no one says it has to be a brisket, a chuck will also work.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky