Cookshack Experience

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tzukowski

Original poster
May 23, 2017
I got from the scrap dumpster, after a restaurant within the company I work for had closed.

It was a Cookshack SM075 Smart Smoker with IQ5 digital controls.

Date of manufacture was November 2005. This unit is already almost 12 years old!!!

This is one of the smaller commercial units measuring 18 "W x 21" D x 40" H on the outside.

Stainless steel inside and well insulated.

Last I knew before pulling it out of the dumpster, the smoker was in working order.

If it DID work, I knew it would be a special find.

I had to see if I could put it back into service for my use at home!

Before attempting to do anything with it, I did my research on the internet and was REALLY impressed with the build quality and reputation. I had some questions about the unit and requested an owners manual by email. Cookshack responded right away with what I needed. I had a follow-up question and called the 800 number. I spoke to a technician I could understand and was actually at the plant in Oklahoma... USA of all places!  Can you imagine that? They answered every question and even offered a suggestion on what I might cook and how to cook it first time out. THANKS COOKSHACK!!!! Customer service, even on an older unit, is still an AMAZING customer support experience.

I did some cleaning on the casters and under the base, brushed off the racks, scraped some crusty drippings from the heat deflector and the inside bottom. I left the seasoned insides alone.

I anxiously plugged it in to see what would happen.

The digital screen came to life with a quick test and prompted for cook temp and cook time to be entered next.

I let it burn-off the oily racks and warm up approximately 20 minutes.

Ready for my first venture into smoking in over 20 years!

Prepped a pork tenderloin with some Pork Barrel BBQ "All American Rub" from Costco and some garlic powder.

Cook time set to 3 hours.

Cook temp set to 225 F.

In it went; on the top rack.

I was nervous seeing the smoker oven temp reaching 250, sometimes 260 degrees, and ended up opening the oven a few more times than I should.

With only one small piece of meat on the top rack, I found out from posts on Cookshack's Q&A pages, the temperature fluctuation is normal and would even out if more meat was loaded in there.

The quick read thermometer said it was only 140 inside temperature on the meat, then said it was only 120. I opened the door on the smoker too many times, because I wanted to verify everything was running as it should. My curiosity extended the cook time by at least 45 minutes. So total cook time ended up being closer to 3.5 hours.

Not trusting the meat thermometer I had, I gave the meat the old BBQ squish test and it sure seemed done enough.

Here are the results...

The unit performed like a champ!

Now that I am more comfortable knowing the unit is functioning as it should , I will trust it a little more and leave the door shut.

I will also get a digital probe thermometer to verify inside meat temperatures.

I am looking forward putting this rescued smoker to VERY good use this summer.

Maybe they are not the cheapest smokers out there, but...

Made in the US.

Customer support in the US.

Very high quality build!

If this 12 year old unit ever dies, I would absolutely look to Cookshack for a replacement!

FANTASTIC product!

Last edited:
You cannot go wrong with a CookShack smoker.  They are built to last.  Manufactured in Ponca City, OK.  Congratulations on the find and enjoy.

Reactions: tzukowski
About a 5k smoker new these days! Fantastic find! I bought the little CookShack with only 3 racks. Steady temps all the way. Week 1 ribs, Week 2 chickens all excellent.

Cookshack makes a mighty fine smoker.  Really solid and  utterly reliable. I used a model 066 for several years without a problem.   I acquired a Smokin-it 3D and not needing two smokers, gave the older one to my son. I have monthly visitation and use rights. 

Great find. Give you $50 for it lol. Wish I had a larger one. My sm025 is great but many times I wish I had more room

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky