Cook time for two shoulders vs one

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Rmann

Original poster
Nov 23, 2022
Ok ..... If one is smoking a 14 LB shoulder - is the time needed for said shoulder the same if one is smoking two 7 lb shoulders?

Thanks in advance.

Reactions: JLeonard
It depends on the thickness of the shoulder. If they are the same thickness then yes they would take about the same time to cook. Are you talking about a whole shoulder (Picnic & butt) or a butt, because I have never seen a 14 lb butt. Or do you have a 2 pack in cryovac?
Al

My take is you would be doubling the cold mass in the chamber, so would be longer.
However I doubt it would be significant. Just my 2 cents.

The one 14 pounder will take longer because of the solid mass. Two 7 pound shoulders equal 14 pounds but their mass is half individually. In other words. 14 pounds of country style ribs will cook faster than one 14 pound shoulder because of individual mass of the piece. That’s just my O2.

Reactions: 1MoreFord
Ok ..... If one is smoking a 14 LB shoulder - is the time needed for said shoulder the same if one is smoking two 7 lb shoulders?

Thanks in advance.
Thanks all ...... also have not had a 14lb shoulder....sorry ....was using that as an example ....a bad example....

I smoked 2 butts starting last night, both 9lbs, 1 was done 2 hours sooner than the other, grate temp was the same , its very hard to specify a set time imo. Better to have a couple hours of holding than waiting for it to get done so you can eat

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Turned out great

Attachments

• IMG_8048.jpeg
    IMG_8048.jpeg
    139.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8050.jpeg
    IMG_8050.jpeg
    146.3 KB · Views: 7
Reactions: DonP and SmokinEdge
The one 14 pounder will take longer because of the solid mass. Two 7 pound shoulders equal 14 pounds but their mass is half individually. In other words. 14 pounds of country style ribs will cook faster than one 14 pound shoulder because of individual mass of the piece. That’s just my O2.
This is correct. If you took a 14 pound shoulder and cut it up in little pieces it would take substantially less time. Even though the weight has not changed, surface area to weight has gone much higher.

Well I stunk up his thread to show how 2 pieces of meat can look the same but took longer that you would think, not the first or last time doing that. I measured temp of grate between them and the temp of each, by the time 1 reached 200 the other was 178 , let it go another 2 hours before it was close enough lol

Well I stunk up his thread to show how 2 pieces of meat can look the same but took longer that you would think, not the first or last time doing that. I measured temp of grate between them and the temp of each, by the time 1 reached 200 the other was 178 , let it go another 2 hours before it was close enough lol
Your information is needed in this thread Mike. If OP wants to add to it that’s fine, but you are giving real world results,,,,, and pictures! We like that a lot. Thanks Mike.

Reactions: JLeonard
Your information is needed in this thread Mike. If OP wants to add to it that’s fine, but you are giving real world results,,,,, and pictures! We like that a lot. Thanks Mike.
I appreciate any and all feedback/information ..... new at this and this forum has been very helpful...thanks guys

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky