Confused about cooking temperatures.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

noobsmoke

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 14, 2008
Hey guys,

I've been here for about a year now and have learned so much great information from you guys. Now, while I'm no where near a master, I am pretty good at most things but the one thing I am still occasionally baffled about is meat temperatures and doneness.

For instance, today I am cooking turkey legs. I'm two hours in at about 250-275 and my redi-check remote thermometer is saying that my legs are at 170. I poked around the forums and people suggested pulling at 170 but then they said they smoked for like 5 hours. Why is my meat at 170 already? If I pull the probe out and stick it right back in, it shows like 150. What might I be doing wrong?

Can someone please help explain this anomaly? Is it likely my thermometer doesn't work? I checked my legs and they are tender but still a bit of blood.

Thanks guys. EDITED: Accidentally wrote 350-275 for temp, when I meant 250-275.

Your cooking temp my be part of the problem. You have a large spead in your cooking temp. 275 to 350 is 75 degrees which can make a big difference. Also, depending on where you insert your probe can be different temps as well. ie, closer to a bone.

beard

What he said. Also, have you calibrated your therm?

I agree that its prob the temp that your cooking at. I know that alot of times folks are around 225 for 5 hours. When you bump the temp up to 300 ish you will cook much faster. I do whole chickens between 300-325 and they are usually done in 3 hours or so.

I'm terribly sorry guys, I meant to say 250-275 is my cooking temperature. I have edited my OP. Would low batteries in my thermometer cause faulty readings? Also, someone mentioned calibrating my thermometer. How can I go about doing that? I have this guy right here: http://www.amazon.com/Maverick-RediC...5&sr=8-2-fkmr0

Put a pot of water about 3 or 4 inches deep on the stove...bring it to a boil. Check your thermometer...don't touch the pot ~~ Poultry is safe to eat at 165* ~~ Next time if you wanna slow down the cooking time, reach and maintain a lower (200*-225*) temperature.....HTH

Fun!

BTW, water boils at 212* F at sea level. So, if your therm doesn't read 212* when you stick it in boiling water, then note how many degrees it is off, and adjust accordingly when measuring the temps of whatever you're cooking.

It's kind of difficult to probe a turkey leg, too. You want to be sure that you're in the thickest part, but not near a bone. It might be best to slice one to check for doneness when you think that they're about ready.

I usually do a 2-2-1 time frame @ 225*with turkey legs. Apple juice in the foiled 2 hrs. That's the way my family likes them, so that's how I cook 'em.

Well thank you guys for your responses. I will look into calibrating my thermometer. Btw, I gave up after 3 hours when my thermometer constantly read 160 degrees. I cut into my legs and they all looked good. I brined them for 12 hours using slaughter house brine recipe and then dry rubbed using another forum member's recipe and they turned out great. Now I just have to wait for the salmonella poisoning to set in. *shrugs* :) Note: I tried smoking new potatoes wrapped in foil along with my bird legs and they never cooked. Back to the drawing board! LOL.

As a couple people mentioned, you were probably too close to the bone when you measured 170 - or maybe when you pulled it out and put it back in you didn't insert it the same depth or something.

As with all aids - especially electronic ones - you always have to ask yourself if what they are telling you makes sense.

Oh - on the potatoes: I've found that onions and potatoes (particularly onions) cook better if you put a bit of oil in with them.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky