Combined Arms: How can I best use my smoker and dehydrator together when making jerky?

Discussion in 'Making Jerky' started by horseflesh, Jun 7, 2014.

1. horseflesh

horseflesh Newbie

I recently got a dehydrator, and I have been a smoker guy for a long time too, so you can see where this is going... how can I combine the great flavor of smoked meat with the fire and forget convenience of a dehydrator? 

In my smoker (a BGE technically) I can maintain a temperature of about 200F at the lowest, and I bet that is too high for jerky. However, I can also rig a cold smoke box, where the temperature would be about 65-70F depending on the weather. What I can't do is smoke at the perfect dehydrating temperature of 160F, sadly. 

It seems like the process would be--

- Soak the meat in salt/sugar/spice marinade

- Cold smoke for an hour or three

- Move meat into the dehydrator

What about reverse-smoking, where you dehydrate and then move the stabilized meat into the cold smoke bath? 

I do have Cure #1 and #2 powders though I would prefer to avoid using them if it is safe to do so. 

Thanks in advance for any tips or links!

2. forluvofsmoke

forluvofsmoke Smoking Guru OTBS Member

I've never made jerky without cure, so I'm not entirely familiar with the methods (I've read about the recommendations, etc). I have only smoked/dried in propane or charcoal smokers, even though I now have a dehydrator...just never got around to drying jerky in it yet.

Cold smoke, then dry in dehydrator, if cured, is safe. Go For it!!!

Eric

Last edited: Jun 7, 2014
  3. chef jimmyj

chef jimmyj Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator Group Lead OTBS Member