Cleanin thermometer

Discussion in 'Charcoal Smokers' started by skin-man, Jun 14, 2010.

1. skin-man

skin-man Newbie

Just got done with my 2nd smoke with the wsm and took a peek at the inside lid at the thermometer probe,

is it necessary to clean or wipe that off after a few smokes? thanks.

2. dutch

dutch Smoking Guru Staff Member Administrator Group Lead OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I've never really given any thought to giving the temp probes a wipe down after doing a smoke. I run a Lang that has two thermo probes on it, a GOSM that has one and an electric UDS with one in the lid and a propane grill. Never cleaned a single one of them. The only probe that gets cleaned is the food probe from my digital thermometers.

I bet most of the folks that answers this will tell you that they don't clean the cook chamber probe either.

YMMV~

3. skin-man

skin-man Newbie

Thanks Dutch.. I just wondered if it would help with the reading the correct temp after time or not.. it will be

intresting to see what everyone else has to say.

4. papad

papad Smoke Blower

I just came in from cleaning out the grease and gunk from the inside of my smoker. I always wipe off the stems of my therms. I don't know if makes any difference as far as reading the temps properly or not, but I figure if I'm going to all the trouble to clean the smoker, what's it going to hurt?

Doesn't cost anything to wipe them off.

5. skin-man

skin-man Newbie

is it good to have a coating of grease on the inside, kinda like cured or should i be cleaning it after each use..

sorry to sound dumb but i never had a smoker before.

6. ak1

ak1 Master of the Pit OTBS Member

As long as the coating isn't too heavy & gross, it's good to leave it. Keep the cooking grates clean though.

7. smoken gator

smoken gator Newbie

Im like Dutch I clean them once and while,but always clean the food probe.

have a great day smoken

8. jirodriguez

jirodriguez Master of the Pit OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I cleaned the one in my WSM for the first time in about a year the other day.... course then I broke the therm later that day..... lol.

9. smokinal

smokinal Smoking Guru Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Never have cleaned mine, just the food probes.

10. richoso1

richoso1 Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

I can only speak from my experience on the subject. I have a GOSM big block, with three temp gauges on the door. While cleaning the racks, I decided to clean the therm stems too. I did notice a difference in the readings. So now, whenever I clean the racks I also clean the therm stems. I use an oven type cleaner, then rinse with water. I finally light the GOSM, and make sure that everything is dry before I smoke anything. It's all good my friend.