Charcoal abuse

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

drheerdt

Original poster
Mar 22, 2010
So far on my Mothers Day Smoke, I have burned through 20lbs of charcoal in 8 hours. Am I screwing something up? Or is this expected using an SNP in 35 degree weather?

Give us some more info on your set up and we can help you out. Temps, how much charcoal are you putting in your fire box, are you using a charcoal basket etc.?
I don't use charcoal because it seems to burn soo fast I always use lump charcoal aka lump wood or lump wood and charcoal briquettes mixed.

I've got a strait-up no-mod SNP. I start with probably a couple chim fulls of Charcoal and add another another approx every 1 and a half hrs. I tried lump one time and couldn't keep the heat up (it was fairly cold and windy outside) and switched to kingsford mid smoke ( I know the purists are cringing and gagging). Maybe it was just a crap brand.

I used about 20 lbs yesterday for 10 hours of cooking time in my Char Griller offset. That was about what I expected. I'd love to use less, but offsets do use lots. I'm thinking about getting something smaller for most smokes that don't have as much meat as what I did yesterday. Maybe then I could use the Royal Oak with better success.

Yea I use lump charcoal aka lump wood and some times I will throw in some charcoal briquettes. When I say I don't use charcoal I guess I was thinking of the stuff you get that has the lighter fluid type stuff added (match light). Probably not calling it the right thing but hopefully you know what I am talking about.

lol... ok now I get it. I was scratching my head a bit on that one as well.

Drheerdt - horizontal offsets do go through a lot of fuel, especialy when you have cold ambient temperatures. I never bothered to fire up my old moded Char-griller unless temperature was at least above 40-45°. That is one of the reasons I switched to a WSM, it really doesn't care about cold very much.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky