Char-Griller Smokin Pro with firebox- Mods

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I took out all the stock grates. I threw the sagging coal grate away. I then cut and placed two pieces of angle iron across the opening front to back exactly above the sfb drawer slide. (enough to clear). Then I cut the sfb cooking grate down to fit as a shelf that rests on the angle iron and placed my two baskets on that. Pretty easy...no drilling.

Commercial SFB Charcoal Baskets & Shelf mod.

Insulated MC lid mod diagram

Home Made expanded metal charcoal basket Diagram (I copied)

Home made HD frame and Wheel mod. Unpainted & painted.

Grate level Tire Valve Therm mod. diagram.

Mounted outside & inside view

Home Made expanded metal charcoal & wood basket made off diagram.

There are some more but these should be okay for awhile.
icon_smile.gif

76f971f8_vbattach23930.jpg

4daa791d_vbattach23929.jpg

ee6fc3c8_vbattach23931.jpg

b9ed2c41_vbattach23932.jpg

a6e4e2f4_vbattach23933.jpg

611370db_vbattach23934.jpg

5d29939a_vbattach23935.jpg

68c492fe_vbattach23936.jpg

d15c9b56_vbattach23937.jpg

2a968bdd_vbattach23938.jpg

526fe816_vbattach23939.jpg

You know, back when I got my CGSP I'd thought about doing an internal insulation job. But it was just gonna be the aluminum sheet, and a 1/2" gap to the dome... ultimately I decided it was overkill and opted not to do it.

How's yours working for you?

When putting in the insultion is it just a stand alone shell on the inside? I've been wanting to tackle that issue but have been lazy since I'm in Myrtle Beach and once I clear February it's usually smooth sailing for me weather wise. My biggest question is should I bother with the mod or stick with my trusty blanket?

Insulated Main Chamber Lid
I don’t have allot in the way of tools or skills outside the ordinary. It was a pain in the butt to do….but I have reaped more benefits than cons from the mod. It has worked out well for me. With some exceptions.

1. I can’t leave the lid down for very long when grilling with coals in the MC. The thin aluminum will expand and buckle from the intense heat generated by grilling. On the upside I don’t often have a need for the lid in the down position when grilling. In retrospect I would probably go for a little heavier aluminum and maybe have cut slots where I drilled holes…if that makes sense? I’m thinking if I had allowed for the expansion of the metal with creating some relief the aluminum, wouldn’t want to buckle?

2. Not a really big deal but the mod makes the lid two or three times heavier. So It prodded me to come up with a lid hinge pin modification to accommodate the increased weight. I never cared for the sloppy way the or slack in the mating surfaces of the lid and bottom barrel anyway.

3. The heavier lid only emphasized to me the rickety ness of the frame and wheels ….soooo it also prodded me to come up with a cheap and easy solution for a stouter frame and wheel set up.

4. I decided against using ordinary fiberglass for the insulating blanket that is between the lid and inner liner. I instead went with a product called ceramic glass. It’s supposed to be a spin off benefit from the space program that provides better insulating qualities than fiberglass? All I know is it (the mod) works very, very well. It causes the smoker to come up to temp much more quickly, and I think helps maintain steadier temps. For sure I use less fuel when using briquettes, charcoal, wood or propane. Takes less fuel to both reach and maintain target temp. IMHO.

5. I’m in the Pacific Northwest. I contend with wind heat loss more than anything else. It’s a tremendous difference in my opinion. It’s still strange to see my temp gage at 250 or 300* while laying my bare arm across the lid and only feel a pleasant warmth! If you don’t have sever heat loss issues are have found a blanket that works fine….I wouldn’t bother with the mod.

Pic 1. the insulation
2. Smk. Stk. Cutout
3. Liner installed.

It's much more invloved than you can see here and I have or think I can find pics of all my steps if there were any intrest.
0b03a961_vbattach23942.jpg

162fcdbd_vbattach23943.jpg

658ac699_vbattach23944.jpg

What an interesting idea. Where did you get the ceramic glass? Do you think that could be sued as part of an outside blanket? (I not much when it comes to metalworking!)

Nice job!!

PDT_Armataz_01_37.gif

Thanks. John not really. You would need to cover the insulation with some kind of material that would be fire & tear resistant. Many hardware stores or stores that sell wood stove and firelace inserts would be where to look for ceramic insulation. If I remeber mine was an inch thick.

I wouldn't be a bit surprised if there was an inter-net source for the ceramic insulating blanket. All the mods can be done with common everyday tools. Just takes patience ....no skill. Everything I did was Mc Gyver approved.
icon_smile.gif

The blanket is sandwiched between aluminum sheet and the main chamber lid. Refer to previously posted lid insulation diagram. Here's a pic of the aluminum sheet I used.
96bf9272_vbattach23949.jpg

Open mine up today and one grill grates is cracked half way across. There are 4 joints and 2 are cracked. These are the cast iron cooking grates.

I am going to email the company and see if they will send me a new one.

Here a coulpe of mods I have done to the firebox... Added heat plates to the inside of the firebox...Smoked a pork loin for 4 hours at 225 with the minion method.  didnt have to refuel once during that time....
6538b383_fab%20II.jpg
e18ad8fc_charcoal%20basket.jpg
5a3c0a11_fab.jpg

here are a couple of mods I did to the fire box.  I added two heat plates...one on the lid and the other to the back of the box.  did the minion meth for 4 hours
e83dd47b_fab.jpg
7ef0ecda_fab%20II.jpg
a16b142e_charcoal%20basket.jpg
and held at 250....  Also, heat up time was cut down by at least a half hour to 45 min in 50 degree weather...

my first butt smoke on my CGw/SFB

9 lb butt slatherd w/ mustard coated w/ my rub in fridge over nite

next mourning fire started at 5:oo am Butt put on at 6:00 am by 9:00 am my meat remote read 130, pit remote was at 230

It is now 2:30pm meat remote reads 185 I believe the butt is getting done sooner then I expected. I guesss Thats ok it sure fine with me I want to thank all the folks here I believe that I learned a lot from them by stalking this forum.

Big thanks to all the posters....  I've had my Chargriller for years and basically just used it as a grill because it was so completely worthless as a smoker.  Basically had written it off due to all it's shortcomings....  A google search for a part led me here and about $20 at Lowe's and 30 minutes later - I made some basic mods.  Smoked a pork butt Saturday....  could not believe the performance.  It's now a heck of a backyard cooker.  Fire very easy to manage and for the most part pretty carefree.  I ran it about 8 hrs. total; it was a nice day - external temp in the 80's.  Of course had to re-load the box, but could get through 1.5-2 hrs at a time with an occasional damper adjustment only.  Anyway - THANKS!!!

To the lazy new-comers (like myself)....    my 3 mods were:

- 3" dryer vent mounted to the inside of the chimney - was able to bend it and still can use the warming tray.  Brought it all the way to the level of the grates.

- 2 bags of ceramic brickets.  placed like a 'blanket' underneath the ash tray in the bottom of the barrel.  AMAZING difference.  Basically zero heat lost out the bottom and much less fuel needed in the firebox.

- $7.00 Char-broil temp. gage from Lowe's.  Drilled a 3" hole on the left side just above grate-high.....dead-on from a temp stand-point and obviously giving me the temp. at a level in the where i need it.

I use a water pan as a makeshift baffle.  Already own a char-broil basket and as it gets colder here and I'm smokin in the winter months - i'll modify the basket as you'all have shown and use it in the fire box.

Anyway - the Chargriller went from being some of the worst $ I'd ever spent to some of the best $ I've ever spent.  thx!

Help please! I just bought a Char Griller Pro... For now, i will only be using it as a grill (no SFB). My question is, since im only using it as a grill, should i still extend the chimney to grate level with aluminum dryer vent mod?

Help please! I just bought a Char Griller Pro... For now, i will only be using it as a grill (no SFB). My question is, since im only using it as a grill, should i still extend the chimney to grate level with aluminum dryer vent mod?
No... if you are just hot grilling you don't need to do any of the mods.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky