Central IL new kid on the block

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

HerrMojo

Original poster
Apr 21, 2020
Hello. My wife surprised me with a smoker and I found myself here soaking up everything I can. I'm brand new to all this, been grilling on charcoal and propane for years, but never a smoker. We picked up a Louisiana vertical pellet smoker, and when I get home from work today I'm going through the start up steps. I have a whole duck in the freezer and a Boston Butt defrosting. I bought some Traeger pellets for the grill, a cigar for me and I can't wait to see who kicks more smoke out.

Reactions: kruizer
Congrats on the new smoker. I think you will quickly come to appreciate your new smoker, the food you can produce with it, and the sheer joy of smoking various foods. Boston butt is a great piece of meat for your first try (have never done duck before) as it's forgiving and hard to mess up so badly that you can't eat it :emoji_laughing:

As you've probably already seen this forum is full of information and great people. Don't be afraid to ask questions and we look forward to pictures of your first smoke.

I'm glad to be here, thank you for the welcomes. Out of all the places I have been reading about smokers and techniques this seemed to be the best information.

So here I sit ... at work ... not cooking ...

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky