Can't Keep Temp Steady

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rp ribking

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 29, 2009
Northern, Indiana
I have a WSM 22 and 1/2". I fill the ring to the top with Kingsford briquettes and a full chimney of lit briquettes, I'll smoke for a minimum of 5 + hours, depending on the internal temp of the meat . After the coals are ashed over I add some chunks of wood (5). I have the WSM under a roof. I can't seem to maintain a steady temp for more than a couple of hours. I fill the water pan with hot water cause it is cold outside, below 30*, and it seems to dissipate quickly also.

I keep the top vent open and adjust with the bottom vents. Maybe this is my problem?

The Virtual Weber Bullet website says to keep all bottom vents closed and the top one open. How do WSM Smokers keep a steady temp?

Thanks RP

I have the same 22 inch WSM. You always want to keep the top vent open. I live in NH, and smoke regularly in the winter cold. Start with a full bag of unlit Kingsford, bury some of the smoke wood in the unlit coals. add a few chunks on top. Light a full chimney of coals (winter only) and throw on top when they are lit. Bottom vents 100% open.

When the temp rises to about 200, add your meat. When the temp climbs to about 225, close the bottom vents to about 1/4. Should chug away for 10+ hours. You may need to close the vents more if the temp starts to climb. I usually end up with 2 of the 3 bottom vents closed completely.

I do not run water in the pan, I run a flower pot saucer instead. I get 14 + hous out of a bag of Kingsford. I feel water is not needed. The water acts as a heat sink to keep the temps from rising, as it boils it uses energy(heat). The water just uses extra coals. The moisture in the meat comes from the fat, not the steam.

Jamie

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky