Canadian Bacon: Sous Vide Style

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

centex99

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 21, 2012
Buda, TX
So my bacon and canadian bacon are in the brine and will likely get pulled out Wednesday or Thursday (12-13 days)... I'm then planning to dry it and let it rest in fridge a day after coating with garlic/pepper... to dry out/etc.

Next I'm going to cold smoke them both for about 10 hours with likely apple, but maybe a mix.

Bacon will get sliced/fried/baked...

Canadian bacon I think I may take it immediately after that and sous vide it at ~ 145 for 2 hours or so to finish cooking.  Has anyone used this method before?

No I haven't tried that, but I just got started with sous vide & will be interested to see how this comes out.

However from what I've read I wouldn't think that only 2 hours in the water would be enough time.

Wouldn't you want to take the meat up to 145 or am I wrong.

Al

No I haven't tried that, but I just got started with sous vide & will be interested to see how this comes out.

However from what I've read I wouldn't think that only 2 hours in the water would be enough time.

Wouldn't you want to take the meat up to 145 or am I wrong.

Al
Yes, you'd want to get it up to 145 throughout.  It's not a very big piece of loin, perhaps 2" thick at most.  Also if it's ~ room temperature to begin with, I wouldn't think it'd take that long... I guess I'll go with 4-6 hours maybe to be extra safe... or try to find some table/chart to use.

So my bacon and canadian bacon are in the brine and will likely get pulled out Wednesday or Thursday (12-13 days)... I'm then planning to dry it and let it rest in fridge a day after coating with garlic/pepper... to dry out/etc.
Next I'm going to cold smoke them both for about 10 hours with likely apple, but maybe a mix.
Bacon will get sliced/fried/baked...

Canadian bacon I think I may take it immediately after that and sous vide it at ~ 145 for 2 hours or so to finish cooking.  Has anyone used this method before?
Like Al, I'm just getting into Sous Vide. From what I've read, thickness makes a difference in cook time as with most things. Are you going to bag them Sous Vide style or poach? If poaching I think you'd need to stick them with a therm every so often to check IT, but if bagged you could let it go 3 or 4 hrs at 145 and it wouldn't overcook. That's the beauty of Sous Vide.

Going to bag and just let go the 3-4 hours.  I only have one piece of canadian in the brine, about 1/3 of a loin (that was a small one to begin with).  I'll take pictures of the belly and loin when I get to that step.  The belly is just getting cooled/sliced/etc, but pictures are always enjoyed! :)

Going to bag and just let go the 3-4 hours.  I only have one piece of canadian in the brine, about 1/3 of a loin (that was a small one to begin with).  I'll take pictures of the belly and loin when I get to that step.  The belly is just getting cooled/sliced/etc, but pictures are always enjoyed! :)

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky