canadian bacon first, with q-view

Discussion in 'Smoking Bacon' started by krusher, Aug 25, 2008.

1. krusher

krusher Smoking Fanatic OTBS Member

well thanks to ron and to cowgirl, for help on this, friday I trimmed all the fat off of a three pound loin, and used three tablespoons of tenderquick, and rubbed it in and then 6 tablespoons of brown sugar. I cured it for three days, and sliced off a little and fryed it, real good and not too salty. Got it in the smoker now, with some hickory and apple, think I will take it to 152, then slice it an fry it a little bit.
    water bath after three days

here it is with the cure on it

in the smoker with apple and hickory

her it is with the fat trimmed off

2. lcruzen

lcruzen Master of the Pit OTBS Member

I use about the same method but cure for 5-7days.

3. cowgirl

cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Good luck with it Krusher! :)

4. krusher

here it is smoked, sliced, and fried. Tastes real good, but next one I do I am going to go 5 days.

sorry, about the pic order, I am trying to use photo bucket and an trying to figure out, how to space them to type between them.

thanks for checkin it out.

5. cowgirl

cowgirl Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Krusher, that looks very tasty![​IMG]

6. sea_munky

sea_munky Smoke Blower

That looks delicious! I've got one curing in the fridge right now and am SO ready for it. Gotta wait till Friday though.

Question: Sliced and fried is preference, right? Can't you just slice and eat since it's cured and smoked?

7. ronp

ronp Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

Nice job, Krusher. Just wondering the reason for extra cure next time? Did this not cure to center?

[​IMG]

You may want to try this for your images. Very simple and do one at a time.

http://postimage.org/

I load it in a seperate browser, and in preview mode, paste the url and organize and add text.

Good luck.

8. bbq bubba

bbq bubba Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Now THAT looks like Canadian bacon.....nice job!!

9. krusher

ron, I think it tastes wonderful, I was thinking that maybe if I let it go another day or two it might be a little saltier, I have been eatin country ham for years and thought it might be better a little more salty. But like I said, it is delicious

10. ck311

ck311 Smoke Blower SMF Premier Member

good job it looks like it tastes awesome

11. krusher

I guess it depends on what temp. you take it to. I took it to 148, I saw somewhere else that if you go to 152, you can just eat it.

But is'nt everything better fried in a little butter??????

I would have fried it anyway cause it seems a little dry, the butter in the pan gives a little moisture.